McClatchy DC Logo

Roadside bombs kill 24 in western Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Roadside bombs kill 24 in western Afghanistan

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 18, 2011 10:43 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Roadside bombs struck two minibuses Thursday, killing 24 people and wounding 11 in western province of Herat, Afghan officials said.

The incident occurred when the minibuses, packed with passengers including women and children, were traveling from Obe district to the city of Herat, the provincial capital.

Herat, which borders Iran and Turkmenistan, had been relatively peaceful, and U.S.-led NATO forces handed over control of security operations in the provincial capital to Afghan forces last month as part of the security transition process.

A statement from Afghan President Hamid Karzai said that two land mines placed by "enemies of the Afghan people" struck the minibuses at 8:30 Thursday morning.

SIGN UP

No group immediately claimed responsibility, but Abdul Raouf Ahmadi, a spokesman for the regional police, blamed anti-government Taliban insurgents. Roadside bombs are among the Taliban's deadliest weapons.

“This is the work of the Taliban and other anti-government groups," Ahmadi said, adding that the bombs had been freshly planted.

The victims were on their way to Herat city for shopping for the Eid holiday that marks the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in two weeks.

The U.S.-led military coalition, the International Security Assistance Force, said that children and five women were among the dead.

"Insurgents plan attacks such as these without regard for the civilians they kill, looking for the attention of the media," said Rear Adm. Hal Pittman, an ISAF spokesman.

Taliban insurgents have stepped up attacks on NATO and Afghan forces across the country. Also on Thursday morning, a suicide bomber detonated a vehicle filled with explosives at the gate of a U.S. military base in the eastern province of Paktia and killed two Afghan guards, officials said. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

The ISAF said there were no casualties among the force.

Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.N. pushes risky plan to resolve Afghan election impasse

Airstrike reportedly kills insurgent who downed U.S. chopper

Pentagon to reconsider landing Chinooks in battle zones

For more international news visit McClatchy's World page.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story