McClatchy DC Logo

Taliban attack north of Kabul underscores Afghan insecurity | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Taliban attack north of Kabul underscores Afghan insecurity

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 14, 2011 03:01 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Taliban insurgents stormed into the governor's compound in a normally peaceful province north of Kabul on Sunday, killing 22 and wounding at least 34 in a dramatic demonstration that few locations in Afghanistan are free from the threat of attack.

The assault, which began with a suicide car bombing, came as the governor of Parwan province was chairing a morning meeting with security officials. The governor narrated the attack as it was unfolding in an interview with an Afghan television station.

"I'm inside," the governor, Abdul Basir Salangi, told Tolo News. As he spoke, gun battles raged in the compound and one of the attackers attempted to storm the governor's office. The attacker was shot dead. Salangi told Tolo he was uninjured.

The gun battle lasted less than an hour, but its toll was grave. At least 16 civilians, most of them employees of the provincial government, died as did six police officers. The wounded included at least 10 police officers, officials said.

SIGN UP

The six attackers also died, one when he triggered a car bomb at the entrance to the compound, signaling the beginning of the attack, and the other five in the fighting that ensued when they rushed into the compound. Two of the attackers killed themselves by detonating explosive vests they were wearing; the other three were killed by police fire, the Afghan Interior Ministry said in a statement.

Tolo News reported that a helicopter belonging to the U.S.-led coalition overflew the compound and that "foreign forces" were in the area, but there was no indication they were involved in the fighting.

Many of the dead and injured appeared to have suffered extensive shrapnel wounds.

"My cousin who was working as a manager in the governor compound has been killed in the attack, and I found his body in the hospital. He'd received many shrapnel wounds," Obaidullah Sediqi, a driver for the provincial council, told McClatchy by phone. "There were several other bodies and I checked their faces till I found my cousin."

Sediqi said he was still trying to determine the fate of his brother, who also was inside the compound when the attack began at about 11:30 a.m.

Parwan, whose capital, Charikar, is about 30 miles north of Kabul, has long been thought of as one of Afghanistan's more peaceful provinces. It is home to the largest U.S. military base in Afghanistan, and its major highway is a key supply route for U.S.-led NATO forces from the central Asian republics of Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.

Last month, the U.S.-led coalition turned over security to Afghan forces in the neighboring province of Panjsher, part of the security transition intended to allow U.S. forces to withdraw by the end of 2014.

U.S. officials have said the surge of American troops into Afghanistan last year has hobbled the Taliban's ability to operate in many of their traditional strongholds. But the Taliban have shown themselves in the past several months still capable of launching deadly attacks even in the most secure locations, including a well-known Kabul hotel, the country's Defense Ministry and the nation's main military hospital.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack on their website.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack. "The enemies of Afghanistan do not stop killing our people even in the holy month of Ramadan," his statement said.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

In valley where SEALs died, U.S. raids boost Taliban support

In one tense district, Afghan crisis comes into focus

Kandahar mayor's killing is another blow to U.S. plans

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story