McClatchy DC Logo

Egypt's army drives protesters from Cairo square | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Egypt's army drives protesters from Cairo square

Mohannad Sabry - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 01, 2011 04:52 PM

CAIRO — Hundreds of military policemen and dozens of armed men in civilian clothes drove protesters from Cairo's Tahrir Square on Monday, ripping down tents and smashing signs the protesters had displayed through their weeks of protest.

Human rights advocates said they had confirmed the names of 39 people who'd been arrested and that perhaps a total of 150 had been detained.

Witnesses reported that the army stood by as armed civilians beat the demonstrators.

"When the army started moving, protesters cheered them, thinking they would defend them against the thugs," said Michael Sadler, an American tourist who was heading to Tahrir Square to renew his visa. Instead, Sadler said, "The army joined in and attacked the protesters."

SIGN UP

"One of the thugs waved his bat at me while another was brutally beating a protester," Sadler said. "I turned around and tried entering the square from another street. I saw the army attacking protesters and I ran away."

Dozens of people were reported injured or detained. Television footage from the square showed military policemen beating protesters as they dragged them to armored personnel carriers. Witnesses said that soldiers chased two foreign reporters from the square.

Ahmed Ragheb, a member of the Protesters Defense Front, said his group was working to determine the identities of those detained. The front had distributed its phone numbers on social networking sites, urging witnesses to report any arrests.

"Our sources in Tahrir Square said that dozens were injured," he said.

Shop owners and pedestrians around the square cheered the army while it attacked protesters, a sign of division between Egyptians over the sit-in that's been held in Tahrir Square since July 8.

The ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces accused organizers of the sit-in of taking money from foreign countries to instigate strife between the army and the Egyptian people.

Two hours after the attacks, traffic flowed into the famous square for the first time in weeks.

The breakup of the demonstration came two days before the scheduled start of the trial of former President Hosni Mubarak on charges that he plotted the deaths of protesters during the 18 days of demonstrations that led to his resignation.

The head of the Cairo Security Department, Gen. Mohsen Morad, said the move was necessary because of the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, during which Muslims fast during daylight hours. He denied that there'd been any violence against demonstrators.

"Evacuating the square fulfilled the wishes of the Egyptian people," Morad said. "Blocking Tahrir Square paralyzed the city's traffic. It is very difficult for people to tolerate this in the fasting month of Ramadan."

(Sabry is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Egypt 'unity' rally turns into Islamist show of strength

Mubarak to face public trial in Cairo next week

Torture still rampant in post-revolution Egypt, activists say

For more international news visit McClatchy's World page.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

House immigration bill will not include mandate on checking employees' legal status

June 26, 2018 05:24 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story