McClatchy DC Logo

Top Libyan rebel commander killed amid spying allegations | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Top Libyan rebel commander killed amid spying allegations

Suliman al Zway and Osama al Fitory - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 28, 2011 07:06 PM

BENGHAZI, Libya — The head of the rebel Libyan army and two of his aides were killed Thursday amid accusations he was conducting back-channel talks on behalf of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi. His death threatened to derail an already fractured rebel effort.

For NATO allies struggling to understand who exactly they are backing, the death of Gen. Abdel Fatah Younes is likely raise more questions about who the rebels are and how they would conduct themselves if Gadhafi lost control of the capital. Hours after the announcement of Younes' death, gunshots rang out in downtown Benghazi.

Mustafa Abdul Jalil, the leader of the Transitional National Council that serves as the rebel government, told reporters that Gadhafi loyalists had killed Younes and two of his aides as they were returning to Benghazi from Brega, an oil town on the Mediterranean coast that rebel forces have been trying to seize for months without success.

But the chain of events was confusing. Hours earlier, the TNC had ordered Younes, 67, to return from Brega for questioning in what Jalil called a military matter, and rumors swirled throughout the day that he was being accused of conducting secret talks with the Gadhafi government.

SIGN UP

Younes was Gadhafi's interior minister prior to his defection to the rebels earlier this year.

Jalil offered no details of the ambush that he said resulted in Younes' death, but he said the bodies of Younes and his two aides had not been recovered.

There was no claim of responsibility from Gadhafi's government as of Thursday night.

Younes, who publicly declared his break with Gadhafi just days after the rebel uprising began in February, never won the trust of many of the men he led, some of whom expressed concern that Younes had worked for Gadhafi since the 1969 coup that brought the 27-year-old Gadhafi to power.

As interior minister, Younes held a key security post in Gadhafi's government for years, and some rebels felt he should have been tried for his Gadhafi ties, not selected as the movement's military leader.

But other rebels, particularly the so-called special forces who defected with him, viewed him with awe. Younes, sitting in the back of an SUV and waving to the fighters, often was greeted with cheers and celebratory gunfire when he visited the frontlines. Scores of Libyans changed their Facebook profile photos to his to mourn his loss.

His death will leave rebels scrambling to find a new battlefield commander.

On Thursday, Jalil, who also once was a member of Gadhafi's cabinet, called Younes "one of the heroes of the 17th of February revolution" and declared three days of mourning.

More than 30 nations have recognized the TNC as the legitimate leaders of Libya, including Britain and the United States. But officials privately express concern about how capable the rebel council was.

Despite a five-month NATO bombing campaign intended to drive Gadhafi from power, rebel forces have made little military headway. In recent weeks, Britain and France have said Gadhafi might be allowed to remain in Libya if he would agree to cede power.

(Zway and Fitory are McClatchy special correspondents. Nancy A. Youssef contributed from Washington.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

On the ground in Libya: Rebels with a cause, but little else

Libyan rebel leader slams NATO over slow response

U.S. recognizes Libya's rebel government, which needs a boost

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story