McClatchy DC Logo

Mullen accuses Iran of arming anti-U.S. forces in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Mullen accuses Iran of arming anti-U.S. forces in Iraq

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 07, 2011 06:42 PM

WASHINGTON — Iran is sending Shiite Muslim militias in Iraq the most lethal weapons it's ever provided them, aimed at killing American troops there, the top U.S. military officer said Thursday.

Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, made the accusation in a roundtable with members of the Pentagon Press Association on the same day that two American service members were killed in Baghdad, apparently the victims of a bomb known as an explosively formed penetrator, a type of weapon that U.S. officials say comes from Iran.

"Iran is very directly supporting extremist Shiite groups, which are killing our troops," Mullen said.

Mullen said the United States and Iraq were discussing whether some American troops should stay in Iraq after a Dec. 31 deadline to withdraw. But he said any extension of the U.S. troop presence past the end of the year "has to be done in conjunction with control of Iran in that regard."

SIGN UP

American officials last charged Iran with providing weapons to Shiite militias in 2005 and 2006, when violence peaked in Iraq. In the years since, U.S. officials generally have said that Iran is abiding by a promise it had made to Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki not to provide weapons to the militias.

But in recent months, American officials have renewed their accusations.

Mullen said Thursday that in addition to explosively formed penetrators, Iran was providing Iraqis with "improvised rocket-assisted mortars," essentially improvised bombs attached to rockets.

Mullen suggested that the weapons were being provided to gain favor with the militias, which operate primarily in Iraq's south.

"There's no question they want influence, particularly in the south," Mullen said.

Mullen also said that U.S. and Iraqi officials were discussing how many American troops the U.S. might agree to keep in Iraq after the pullout date, but that no details had been worked out. White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said earlier this week that the United States hadn't received a request for additional troops and that until it did, it remained on schedule to have zero troops in Iraq by Dec. 31.

There are currently 46,000 U.S. troops in Iraq.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

More U.S. troops deaths raise question about strategy

Libya mission becomes a burden for Obama

5 U.S soldiers die in Baghdad attack, worst toll in 2 years

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

House immigration bill will not include mandate on checking employees' legal status

June 26, 2018 05:24 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story