McClatchy DC Logo

British newspaper, News of the World, to shut down Sunday | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

British newspaper, News of the World, to shut down Sunday

Henry Chu - Los Angeles Times

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 07, 2011 04:51 PM

LONDON — In a stunning move, Rupert Murdoch's media empire announced Thursday it was shutting down the News of the World tabloid, Britain's bestselling Sunday newspaper, because of an alleged phone hacking scandal that has triggered a major public backlash here.

James Murdoch, a senior executive at his father's News Corp., said Sunday's edition of the News of the World would be its last. In a statement, he said the company accepted responsibility for the distress inflicted by the phone hacking allegations and the paper's breach of journalistic ethics.

"The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account," the statement said, "but it failed when it came to itself."

The statement acknowledged the gravity of allegations that the paper hacked into the cellphones of celebrities, politicians and even crime and military combat victims in its pursuit of scoops. Earlier this week, Britain was rocked by reports that a private investigator hired by the tabloid had illegally accessed — and deleted — voicemail messages on the phone of a 13-year-old girl who was kidnapped and later found murdered.

SIGN UP

Such a practice, if it occurred, "was inhuman and has no place in our company," the statement said — in effect concurring with an outpouring of public outrage over the reports that has swept the nation.

The closure will mean the death of a weekly newspaper that has been a part of the British media landscape for more than a century. The News of the World enjoys a circulation of more than 2.5 million, far beyond its closest rival.

But the elder Murdoch and News Corp. evidently felt that the hacking scandal had created too toxic of an environment for the company and that the News of the World had to be sacrificed.

News Corp.'s British subsidiary, News International, also owns other iconic publications, such as the Times of London and the Sun tabloid, which have been caught up in a boycott campaign by Facebook and Twitter users angered by the allegations surrounding the News of the World.

The scandal has thrown into question Murdoch's attempt to gain control of British satellite broadcaster BSkyB, a takeover bid now under consideration by the British government.

A number of advertisers have also withdrawn their business from the News of the World as a result of mounting accusations that the tabloid may also have hacked into the cellphones of relatives of terrorist attack victims and British soldiers killed in combat.

On Thursday, the British Legion, a socially and politically powerful veterans' organization, announced that it too was cutting its ties to the tabloid.

The closure of the paper caught many in London by surprise, including, apparently, some of its own employees. Even after the announcement by James Murdoch, the News of the World's website was offering a four-week free trial subscription.

The statement by James Murdoch said that all proceeds from Sunday's final edition of the News of the World would be donated to worthy causes.

Later, News International announced that the closing would result in 200 tabloid staffers losing their jobs, the Associated Press reported. A company spokeswoman said that those laid off can apply for other jobs in the media firm.

Whether the drastic step to shut down the paper will dampen public anger remains to be seen. Many politicians are demanding the resignation of Rebekah Brooks, chief executive of News International and the editor of the News of the World at the time of the alleged hacking into the teenage kidnap victim.

Brooks is one of Rupert Murdoch's closest confidants and has so far insisted that she will stay on to get to the bottom of the hacking scandal.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story