McClatchy DC Logo

Helicopters end Taliban siege of Kabul Intercontinental hotel | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Helicopters end Taliban siege of Kabul Intercontinental hotel

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 28, 2011 11:28 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Taliban insurgents, some of them dressed in traditional Afghan tunics and playing loud religious music over their cell phones, used the distraction of a suicide blast at a checkpoint to storm the lobby of the Kabul Intercontinental hotel late Tuesday, where they opened fire on hotel guests in a six-hour rampage certain to shake local confidence in Afghanistan's security forces.

When security forces with the help of helicopters from the U.S.-led International Security Assistance Force finally killed the last of the attackers at about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, six hours after they'd invaded the hotel, at least 10 civilians were dead, Kabul Police Chief Ayoub Salagngi told reporters. Police said eight Taliban died — seven who perished during the fighting, including some who blew themselves up with suicide vests after they'd been wounded, and the bomber, whose suicide at the checkpoint signaled the beginning of the attack.

It was without doubt the most spectacular Taliban action inside Kabul this year and was likely to unsettle a city that had already seen two other deadly security breaches in recent months, one at the country's Defense Ministry in April and another at the premier military hospital. By the time the shooting had stopped, NATO helicopters had fired rockets at the hotels roof and flames were licking from an entire floor of the hotel's upper stories.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed credit for the attack and said its target had been a meeting of about 300 international and Afghan security specialists who were gathering for a reception ahead of a series of meetings Wednesday.

SIGN UP

But a hotel worker who asked not to be named said the attackers had struck too soon, if the reception had been their goal. The worker, who said he was manning the front desk when the attack began, said only about 30 or 40 of the expected guests had arrived for the event when the shooting started at about 9:30 p.m.

The worker said he saw two hotel guests — one from Turkey, the other from an Arab country the worker did not identify_ shot by the insurgents. He did not know their conditions and said he feared others might have become victims as the attackers moved out of the lobby to other floors of the hotel.

The worker said he saw perhaps as many as three of the insurgents when they entered the hotel. He said they were dressed in traditional "kamiz shalwar," the long tunic over baggy pants that is the traditional Afghan dress for men, and were playing loud religious music on their cell phones when they began their attack. Each was clutching what appeared to be a canned energy drink in his hand.

Police said others of the attackers wore police uniforms. One police officer who declined to give his name said that six of the attackers eventually made it to the roof, where they fought it out with pursuing Afghan police until the two NATO helicopters, summoned to help, opened fire with rockets.

It was unknown whether any of the hotel's guests had been killed or wounded. Ambulances were still carrying away the wounded as light dawned on the scene.

Mohammed Zahir, the director of criminal investigations for the Kabul police department, said at least six officers had been wounded.

The rare nighttime assault was likely to increase anxiety in the Afghan capital over the ability of the Afghan police and army to take control of security responsibilities, a transition that is scheduled to occur next month.

Hours into the siege, Zahir acknowledged that Afghan forces were having difficulty re-establishing control.

"The insurgents are resisting," he said. "The situation is not clear."

How the insurgents skirted the hotel's security was not immediately clear. But the front desk worker said he believed they had approached the hotel from the rear instead of trying to skirt the layers of security that greet arrivals to the hotel's main entrance.

The attack began when the suicide bomber exploded at the lone security checkpoint in the read. The others rushed in in the confusion.

Zahir confirmed that one of the insurgents had triggered his explosives-laden suicide vest early in the assault. He also said they fired rockets from the hotel at the nearby home of Marshal Mohammad Fahim Qaseem, the country's first vice president.

Mujahid, the Taliban spokesman, said that "up to 50 national and international enemy" had been killed, but Taliban claims frequently are wildly exaggerated and there was no independent confirmation of that number.

Tolo TV, an Afghan station, said that more than 10 people had been killed or wounded.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

As U.S. pullout nears, Taliban bombs undermine Afghan army

Military brass cite risks in Obama's Afghan drawdown

Karzai welcomes Afghan drawdown plan as election woes re-emerge

2 killers in Afghan bank siege are hanged in Kabul

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story