McClatchy DC Logo

Libya mission extension gets key Senate panel's approval | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Libya mission extension gets key Senate panel's approval

William Douglas - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 28, 2011 06:25 PM

WASHINGTON — The Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Tuesday approved a resolution limiting the U.S. role in NATO's Libya mission to one year.

The resolution passed on 14-5 vote. It puts the Senate at odds with the House of Representatives, which last week resoundingly rejected a measure to extend the three-month old U.S. involvement in Libya for a year.

The full Senate is expected to take up the resolution next month. The measure, co-sponsored by Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry, D-Mass., and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the ranking Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, says it's in the national interest for President Barack Obama to employ the U.S. military in the NATO-led mission to prevent Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi from crushing his population.

But like the House, several senators expressed serious reservations about how Obama went about engaging American forces and raised questions about whether the president violated the 1973 War Powers Resolution, which no president has ever acknowledged as binding.

SIGN UP

That law requires a president to seek congressional approval within 60 days of the start of any conflict. If approval isn't granted, U.S. involvement is to end within 30 days.

Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, the Foreign Relations Committee's ranking Republican, said the Kerry-McCain resolution is too broad, lacks teeth, and gives Obama too much leeway. He tried to narrow the resolution with a series of amendments.

One amendment attempted to limit U.S. operations in Libya to search and rescue, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, aerial refueling and operational planning. It also precluded air strikes by U.S. aircraft and armed drones.

Noting that the U.S. is still engaged in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and is saddled with more than $14 trillion in debt, Lugar said the nation should "not be intervening in a civil war" in Libya.

"American intervention in Libya did not come as a result of a disciplined assessment of our vital interests or an authorization debate in Congress," Lugar said. "I'm concerned that this resolution would provide broad authorities permitting significant expansion of United States military involvement in Libya's civil war."

The amendment failed 14-5.

Lugar was one of several senators still seething over what they considered Obama's lack of congressional consultation on Libya.

At the committee's hearing earlier in the day, lawmakers from both parties grilled the State Department's top lawyer over whether Obama had exceeded his authority and circumvented the War Powers Resolution with his decision to join NATO's Libya mission.

Harold Koh defended Obama, arguing that he didn't need Congress' authorization because the U.S. role in the NATO mission is so limited it can't be considered a war or even "hostilities."

"But as virtually every lawyer recognizes, the operative term 'hostilities,' is an ambiguous standard, which is nowhere defined in the statute," Koh said in prepared testimony. "Indeed, the legislative history of the Resolution makes clear there was no fixed view on exactly what the term 'hostilities' would encompass."

Koh's rationale enraged Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn.

"I would guess at night, however people of your category give high-fives, you're talking to other academics about this cute argument that has been utilized," Corker told Koh. "But I would say to you that I think you've undermined the credibility of this administration. I think you've undermined the integrity of the War Powers Act. I think by taking this very narrow approach, you've done a great disservice to our country."

The committee did adopt a Lugar amendment that establishes that the current U.S. military operations over Libya do constitute hostilities under the War Powers Resolution and are subject to that resolution's provisions that require authorization by Congress.

(Nancy A. Youssef contributed to this article.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Obama slams Bahrain's crackdown

Obama's stand on Israel wins no points in Arab world

Analysts: President Obama's Middle East speech won't influence the region

For more McClatchy politics coverage visit Planet Washington

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

5 reasons farmers grow thirsty crops in dry climates

July 24, 2015 11:50 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story