McClatchy DC Logo

Israel prepares for more violence in Golan Heights village | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Israel prepares for more violence in Golan Heights village

Sheera Frenkel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 06, 2011 06:04 PM

MAJDAL SHAMS, Golan Heights — Syria and Israel traded accusations Monday over the death toll in Sunday's shootings along the border here as Israeli troops prepared for what pro-Palestinian demonstrators were promising would be another attempt to storm across the border Tuesday.

Syrian police said they'd blocked dozens of pro-Palestinian demonstrators from reaching the hills around Majdal Shams on Monday. But Israel accused Syria of stoking the border tensions in hopes of diverting attention from its murderous campaign against anti-government protesters, which has claimed hundreds of lives in the past several weeks.

Syrian officials said that 24 people were killed and 350 wounded Sunday when hundreds of protesters tried to cross the border fence and Israeli troops opened fire. Funerals were held Monday for six of those who were killed in a Palestinian refugee camp outside the Syrian capital, Damascus. Officials said another 16 were to be buried later in the day in another camp.

Israeli officials expressed doubt over the figures Syrian officials released, saying they thought the death toll was about 10. But Defense Minister Ehud Barak acknowledged that Israeli officials had no way to know precisely.

SIGN UP

The United States charged Monday that Syria was behind the confrontations.

"This is clearly an attempt by Syria to incite these kinds of protests," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said. "Israel, like any sovereign nation, has a right to defend itself."

It's been nearly 30 years since Israel and Syria last fought a direct war, but tensions were high here Monday as protesters vowed in forums on Facebook and Twitter to regroup and try again Tuesday. Israeli troops here were on standby, warily eying the fence that's marked the border for more than a generation.

Majdal Shams is claimed by both Syria and Israel. It's been under Israeli control since the 1967 Six-Day War and was effectively annexed to Israel in 1981, when Israel installed a civilian administration here.

The conflicting allegiances of the village were on full display this week. Many turned out to support the protesters, only to be hushed by village elders.

"I believe in what they are doing, and I wish I could march towards them," said Salim Abu Arar, a 26-year-old resident of Majdal Shams. "Even if it is all the work of the Syrian government."

Majdal Shams had settled into an odd accommodation after 44 years of Israeli control. Syria considers its residents to be citizens, but they're entitled to Israeli citizenship if they request it; few have. Until this year, the village of just under 9,000 people had been considered relatively peaceful.

Then on May 15, Syrian authorities allowed hundreds of pro-Palestinian demonstrators to reach the border with Israel and break through the fence. Dozens made it into Israel, with one man going as far as the central city of Jaffa. Israeli soldiers who fired into the crowd killed more than 20, in what was called a major failure on the part of Israeli intelligence.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu swore that he wouldn't allow those events to happen again, urging soldiers that they should prevent a border breach but show "maximum restraint."

On Sunday, hundreds of protesters tried again.

Defense Minister Barak said Israel had no choice but to fire, and an Israeli military official, speaking anonymously to Israel's army radio, said soldiers had used live fire immediately, choosing to forgo rubber bullets or other less lethal weapons.

"Could be that they think it diverts attention. We have no choice. We have to defend our border," Barak said.

Israeli officials have said they'll file a complaint to the United Nations over Syria's actions along the border, though it was unclear in what forum they'd file.

(Frenkel is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Israel's '67 borders have long been at root of peace debate

Obama's stand on Israel wins no points in Arab world

Netanyahu rebukes Obama's idea on Israel's '67 borders

Analysts: President Obama's Middle East speech won't influence the region

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story