McClatchy DC Logo

Bahrain's top human rights activist targeted two days after Obama speech | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Bahrain's top human rights activist targeted two days after Obama speech

Roy Gutman - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 21, 2011 05:47 PM

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — Teargas grenades were fired in the middle of the night into the home of the leading human rights activist on Bahrain -- in what may be the answer of hardliners running Bahrain to President Barack Obama's call for an end to the brutal crackdown on the Persian Gulf island allied to the United States.

Nabeel Rajab, president of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, and a relentless critic of Sunni Muslim minority government, said four grenades were fired at the house at 3:30 a.m. Saturday in the village of Bani Jamra, Bahrain, and two broke through the windows in quarters occupied by his brother, Nader, and his family. A third went off in the compound.

He called the attack an attempt "to murder a member of my family to pressure me to stop my human rights activities" and described a harrowing scene of living quarters filled with acrid smoke that makes breathing almost impossible.

"We had very frightening moments rescuing my brother and his wife and his daughter, as they were close to suffocation," Rajab told McClatchy Saturday night.

SIGN UP

It was the second time in a month that Rajab's house had come under such an attack, following an attack on April 18 when three teargas grenades were fired.

During his policy speech on the U.S. response to the "Arab spring" reform movement Thursday, Obama singled out when he denounced "mass arrests and brute force" the government has used against the majority Shiite population.

According to Rajab, who is one of the best informed people on human rights abuses on the island off the Saudi coast, there's been no sign of a letup in the use of security forces to block peaceful protests.

Indeed, civilians who had been released after weeks of jail have been ordered to sign oaths saying they would not take part in anti-government protests again, and in the past four days have been ordered to appear again before a military judge, he said.

Meanwhile, protests continued in the predominantly Shiite village of Sitra Saturday. A YouTube video showed at least 20 youths marching and chanting: "We want the regime to go," the mantra of the Arab Spring, as well as demanding that the government not apply the death penalty that a judge ordered following a secret trial of anti-government activists.

Bahrain has arrested hundreds of those who protested in the Pearl Roundabout from mid-February to mid-March, detained doctors and nurses who treated protesters shot or attacked by police, put the editors of the only opposition newspaper on trial and destroyed dozens of Shiite mosques and religious buildings.

Leading political figures in the country are in detention, most without charges, and their families say they've been brutally mistreated.

Rajab said luckily for his family, the teargas canisters landed on a tile floor and not on a carpet, which could have caught fire and killed the entire family while they were asleep. "My family have got nothing to do with my human rights work," he said, pleading for help to stop the government from organizing more attacks.

After an attack in mid-April, Human Rights Watch noted that the grenades were manufactured in the United States and were of a type to which only the Bahrain Defense Authorities had access.

Now it appears the Bahrain government has found a new supplier. Rajab said this time, the grenades were of a smaller dimension than in mid-April, and there were no markings of manufacture.

ON THE WEB:

YouTube video of May 22 protest in Sitra, Bahrain

Human Rights Watch denounces April attack on Rajav's home

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

While Bahrain destroys mosques, U.S. remains silent

Journalists, too, are victims of Bahrain's crackdown

In Bahrain, a candlelight vigil can land you in jail

Obama slams Bahrain's crackdown

Bahrain tries newspapers editors for 'fabrications'

Bahrain's ruling Sunnis reportedly abuse detained Shiite women and girls

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

House immigration bill will not include mandate on checking employees' legal status

June 26, 2018 05:24 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story