McClatchy DC Logo

Taliban attack in eastern Afghanistan leaves 35 dead | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Taliban attack in eastern Afghanistan leaves 35 dead

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 19, 2011 11:04 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan _ Taliban insurgents attacked a construction company in Afghanistan's Paktia province Thursday, killing 35 and wounding at least 20 others in the latest assault on U.S.-financed road projects that the insurgents believe threaten their access to refuges in the tribal regions of Pakistan.

The insurgents were armed with both small and heavy weapons when they struck a compound belonging to the Galaxy Sky construction company in the Wazi Zadran district at 2 a.m., according to an engineer for the company and a spokesman for the provincial governor.

Among the dead were construction workers, truck drivers, engineers and local security personnel. Eight insurgents were killed by security guards defending the compound, said Rohullah Samoon, the governor's spokesman.

Paktia is a remote province in southeastern Afghanistan that shares a border with Pakistan's tribal areas.

SIGN UP

Galaxy Sky has a $10 million U.S.-funded contract to build an 18-mile-long highway from the provincial capital, Gardez, to Khost, the capital of neighboring Khost province, which also borders Pakistan.

It's the second time the company has been attacked by the Taliban, according to the company's owner, Noorullah Bidar. In 2009, a suicide bomber killed 20 of the company's workers, Bidar said.

In March of this year, a suicide bomber set off an explosives-laden truck in the compound of a construction company that was building a road in neighboring Paktika province, killing 20.

The Taliban claimed in a posting on their website that the compound was a security company base. It said 70 Taliban fighters took part in the attack and that 40 people had been killed. Twenty vehicles were also destroyed, the Taliban said.

Bidar, the Galaxy Sky owner, said survivors of the attack told him that the attackers included foreign fighters from Waziristan in Pakistan.

The attack added to what has been a deadly week in Afghanistan. On Wednesday, at least 28 people died in three separate incidents, including 13 people killed in a suicide attack on police trainers in Nangarhar province and 11 people who were shot when demonstrators attempted to storm a regional headquarters for the U.S.-led coalition in Takhar province. The demonstrators were protesting the deaths of four people in a U.S.-led raid who government officials said were civilians.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHYDay that claims 28 lives shows range of Afghan violenceIn deadliest attack in years, Afghan pilot kills 9 U.S. trainersTruck bomb kills 20, injures dozens in eastern AfghanistanFollow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Day that claims 28 lives shows range of Afghan violence

May 18, 2011 09:43 AM

world

U.S. commander: Bin Laden's death doesn't end Afghan war

May 10, 2011 06:43 PM

world

Fighting enters second day in Afghan city of Kandahar

May 08, 2011 04:09 PM

world

Suspected Taliban fighters launch attacks on Kandahar

May 07, 2011 03:15 PM

world

Taliban: Reports of bin Laden's death greatly exaggerated

May 03, 2011 05:07 PM

world

Afghans: Bin Laden raid shows Pakistan should be war's focus

May 02, 2011 02:21 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story