McClatchy DC Logo

Suspected Taliban fighters launch attacks on Kandahar | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Suspected Taliban fighters launch attacks on Kandahar

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 07, 2011 03:15 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Suspected Taliban insurgents including suicide bombers in vehicles launched attacks in the city of Kandahar on Saturday on the provincial governor's palace, police stations and military compounds.

Two people were killed and 29 people, including police officers and women and children, were injured, the government said. Six of the attackers were killed, and one of them had a Pakistani identification card, the governor of Kandahar province, Toryalai Weesa, said in a statement.

Some of the attacks were on Afghan National Security Forces and International Security Assistance Force buildings in the city and the Arghandab River Valley, U.S.-led NATO forces said in a news release.

Afghan forces repelled attacks throughout the city, and reportedly none of the insurgents got into any of the compounds, the release said. It said initial reports indicated that more than five suicide bombers using vehicles were involved in the attacks, and that Afghan forces prevented three of them from detonating.

SIGN UP

"This clearly was intended to be a spring offensive spectacular attack which was thwarted by Afghan National Security Forces," U.S. Marine Corps Maj. Gen. James B. Laster, International Security Assistance Force Joint Command deputy chief of staff for joint operations said in the statement. "Afghan National Security Forces responded calmly and capably and, with limited ISAF assistance, were able to restore calm to the city."

Hekmat Kochai, a police spokesman, said seven police officers and three intelligence officers were injured.

Qayeum Pakhla, the provincial health director, said that 28 injured people had been brought to a hospital for treatment, including women and children.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack and said it was part of the spring offensive they started last week.

Qari Yusuf Ahamdi, a spokesman for the militants, said in a statement posted on their website that they "carried out massive blasts" in the governor's office and at municipal, police and intelligence buildings, "shaking up the entire city."

Afghan president Hamid Karzai, on an official visit in Turkey, condemned the attacks. Al Qaida and related terrorists suffered a heavy loss with the killing of Osama bin Laden on May 1 in Pakistan, and they "wanted to hide their defeat" from Afghan civilians and take revenge, he said in a statement.

Kandahar is the restive province in the south of Afghanistan that shares a long border with Baluchistan, a province of Pakistan where Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar other high-ranking of commanders are believed to be based. Pakistan denies that they're there.

The attacks in Kandahar on Saturday came two weeks after a jailbreak in the province in which nearly 500 prisoners, mostly Taliban fighters, escaped.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy Newspapers special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Al Qaida faithful mourn bin Laden, but few others do

Bin Laden family lived a life of isolation in Pakistan home

Afghans: Bin Laden raid shows Pakistan should be war's focus

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story