McClatchy DC Logo

Manhunt on for hundreds of Taliban sprung from Afghan jail | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Manhunt on for hundreds of Taliban sprung from Afghan jail

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 25, 2011 08:36 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan — U.S.-backed Afghan forces launched a massive manhunt Monday for hundreds of inmates, most of them Taliban fighters, who fled down a tunnel burrowed under the walls of southern Kandahar Province’s main maximum security prison.

The second spectacular mass breakout from Sarposa Prison in nearly three years underscored how Afghan security forces remain plagued by deficiencies despite receiving billions of dollars in training and equipment from the United States and other countries.

The U.S. and its allies are working to bolster the country’s security forces as a major component of their strategy to transfer responsibility for security throughout the country to the national government by 2014.

“This incident reminds that we still have loopholes,” conceded Wahed Omar, a spokesman for President Hamid Karzai. “We are worried about it. This is a blow and it is something that should not have happened.”

SIGN UP

The breakout, an intensifying campaign of assassinations of local officials and a recent series of attacks on government facilities show how resilient the Taliban-led insurgency remains despite suffering battlefield setbacks since last year’s surge of U.S. forces into Kandahar and the adjacent insurgent stronghold of Helmand Province.

At least 488 prisoners fled Sarposa Prison though the 1,050-foot tunnel dug from a nearby house before guards in the facility, which is encircled by walls topped with razor wire and guard towers, discovered the breakout, Kandahar Province Gov. Toryalai Wesa said in a statement.

Wesa accused Afghan intelligence and prison officials of neglect and of failing to properly perform their duties.

Afghan security forces closed off exits from Kandahar city, the headquarters of the Taliban movement until the 2001 U.S. invasion, and fanned out in a search for the escapees, rounding up 24 by the end of the day, officials said.

Two were killed when they tried to resist arrest, said Gen. Salim Ehsas, a senior police commander. He expressed confidence that the rest would be “rearrested soon” because authorities have their biometric data, including fingerprints and retina scans.

But several residents expressed concern that many escapees would return to fighting the U.S.-backed government, reversing security improvements in and around the country’s second largest city brought by last year’s U.S. troop surge.

“Absolutely it will affect the situation and the security will get worse because a large number of Taliban, including some senior commanders, fled the jail,” said Hekmatullah, a resident, who like many Afghans uses only one name.

“There is no government, no administration. The government exists in name only,” he said. “This will give morale to the Taliban.”

The Taliban took credit for the breakout, with a spokesman insisting that 541 prisoners _ 53 more than the official tally _ escaped. They included “106 important commanders,” said Qari Yosuf Ahmadi, speaking by cellular telephone from an undisclosed location.

That last assertion was doubtful as senior insurgents are held at a maximum security facility at Bagram Air Field, the main U.S. base in Afghanistan, or at government-run Puli Charki prison in Kabul.

It took six months to dig the two-foot-wide tunnel and four hours for all of the escapees to make their way out of the facility, beginning at 11 p.m. on Sunday, said Ahmadi.

It appeared that the plot involved inside assistance. Those involved had keys with which they opened the door to the cell in the prison’s political block where the tunnel emerged, as well as the doors to the other escapees’ cells.

Nor was it clear why guards were not alerted when those digging the tunnel punched through the concrete floor of the cell to which they burrowed their passage.

Another branch of the tunnel was dug underneath the block holding ordinary criminals, but prison officers were able to thwart a mass breakout from that section, Wesa, the provincial governor, told reporters.

The breakout occurred despite improvements made to the prison after some 900 inmates escaped on June 13, 2008, when dozens of insurgents attacked the prison as two suicide bombers blew breaches in the walls.

“This jailbreak shows the incompetency of the government,” said Noorulahaq Ulomi, a former parliamentarian from Kandahar. “It is like ... a victory for the Taliban.”

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.) MORE FROM MCCLATCHY Pakistan, U.S. clash over key weapon against al Qaida

Karzai blasts 'foreign agents' for Afghan suicide attack

U.S. troops repel Taliban attack on airport in Afghanistan

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story