McClatchy DC Logo

Taliban sympathizer kills 2 at Afghan defense ministry | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Taliban sympathizer kills 2 at Afghan defense ministry

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 18, 2011 06:04 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — For the second time in three days, a Taliban suicide bomber in an Afghan army uniform on Monday penetrated a supposedly secure Afghan military facility, the latest evidence that military and government supporters are at risk even inside the most heavily guarded locations.

Monday's incident took place at the Defense Ministry in Kabul, where in theory, security is among the tightest in the country. A ministry spokesman said that the would-be bomber was killed before he could detonate the explosives he was wearing, but not before he'd shot dead two Afghan soldiers and wounded seven others.

A Taliban spokesman said the attack was intended to disrupt the visit of French Defense Minister Gerard Longuet, who arrived on Sunday in Afghanistan, where France has nearly 4,000 troops assigned to the U.S.-led International Security Assistance Force, as the coalition battling the Taliban is known formally. It's unclear whether Longuet was in the building at the time; a joint news conference with Longuet and his Afghan counterpart was canceled.

The incident highlights a key Taliban tactic that has become a major problem for the coalition: Using members of the military or police to skirt security procedures to deliver explosives inside secure locations.

SIGN UP

On Saturday, an Afghan soldier detonated himself at an Afghan army base in Laghman province, killing five NATO soldiers and four Afghans. The Taliban said the soldier had joined the army just a month ago for the express purpose of a suicide attack.

On Friday, a bomber in a police uniform triggered explosives he was wearing inside the Kandahar provincial police headquarters, killing the provincial police chief, Khan Mohammad Mujahid, who'd survived several assassination attempts since his appointment in September.

In the past week, there also have been suicide attacks on an army training center in Paktia province and a police headquarters in southern Kabul. The deadliest strike came Wednesday, when a suicide bomber in Kunar province killed 10 tribal leaders allied with the government of President Hamid Karzai.

Defense Ministry spokesman Gen. Zahir Azimy provided no answer to whether Monday's bomber was, in fact, an army member or merely wearing the uniform.

But Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid told McClatchy that the attacker, whom he identified as Assadullah, had been a longtime member of the Afghan military. He said Assadullah was from Panjsher province, the same province where the legendary anti-Taliban commander Ahmad Shah Massoud, who was assassinated by suicide attackers two days before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the U.S., was born.

On Saturday, Mujahid told McClatchy that the Taliban intended to continue using men in uniform to conduct suicide attacks. "This is an effective tactic, and we will use this in the future too," he said.

Keeping Taliban supporters out of the country's security forces is increasingly difficult. As ISAF prepares to hand security responsibilities to Afghans in some parts of the country this summer, recruiting for the army and police has been accelerated.

But there hasn't been any increase in efforts to screen recruits for their political leanings. The only requirements for joining the army or police are that you be 18, an Afghan citizen and have no criminal background. Two government officials are required to confirm those details, but there is no further exam beyond a medical checkup.

It's difficult to gauge the impact of suicide attacks. While such attacks result in only a handful of dead and no territorial conquest, their psychological impact can be significant, showing that the Taliban is able to strike almost anywhere. The Defense Ministry, for example, is only a few hundred yards from Afghanistan's presidential palace.

The impact would grow if increased screening of recruits slows the process of creating an Afghanistan army and police force large enough to assume security functions now undertaken by the U.S.-led coalition.

Such attacks also have the potential to sow suspicion between the coalition and their Afghan counterparts.

Last year, an Afghan army soldier killed three British soldiers in Helmand province. In November, an Afghan border patrolman killed six U.S. soldiers in Nangarhar province.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Son's death in Quran burning protest haunts Afghan family

Pakistan, U.S. clash over key weapon against al Qaida

Karzai blasts 'foreign agents' for Afghan suicide attack

U.S. troops repel Taliban attack on airport in Afghanistan

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

8 soldiers die Saturday in latest Taliban suicide attacks

April 16, 2011 08:16 AM

world

Suicide attacks target Afghan police, killing 3

April 14, 2011 10:32 AM

world

Karzai blasts 'foreign agents' for Afghan suicide attack

April 13, 2011 07:36 AM

world

U.S. troops repel Taliban attack at eastern Afghan airport

April 06, 2011 09:16 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story