McClatchy DC Logo

8 soldiers die Saturday in latest Taliban suicide attacks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

8 soldiers die Saturday in latest Taliban suicide attacks

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

April 16, 2011 08:16 AM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Eight soldiers from the U.S.-led coalition were killed Saturday in Taliban bombings, including a suicide attack at a military base in the eastern province of Laghman, the single deadliest attack on the alliance in months.

The Taliban have hit at least four police or army installations with suicide attacks in the past week.

A statement from the International Security Assistance Force, as the coalition is known formally, on Saturday did not give the nationalities of the dead soldiers or identify the location of the attack, but an Afghan defense ministry spokesman said four of the dead were Afghans. He said eight people were wounded, four of them Afghans serving as interpreters.

An update Sunday by the coalition said another two soldiers were killed in a bombing Saturday in southern Afghanistan. Officials gave no details. The Associated Press put the additional coalition dead at three. Four Afghan soldiers were killed in the attack at the military base, AP said.

SIGN UP

On Saturday, Defense Ministry spokesman Gen. Zahir Azimy declined to give details of the casualties.

Officials in Laghman province, where the attack took place, gave a higher death toll for Afghans, with Faizanullah Patan, the governor's spokesman, saying seven had died. He gave no figure for foreign soldiers.

The suicide attacks were the latest in a Taliban campaign aimed at police, soldiers and government supporters throughout the country.

On Friday, a suicide bomber wearing a police uniform detonated his explosives inside the police headquarters in Kandahar in southern Afghanistan, killing the provincial police chief and wounding three others. Bombers in the last week also struck a police training camp in Paktia province, killing three, a meeting of tribal leaders in Kunar province, killing 10, and a police headquarters south of Kabul, where no dead were reported but the building was devastated.

Saturday's attack in Laghman was notable because the province is considered relatively peaceful. Its capital, Mehterlam, is one of five cities where Afghan forces are scheduled to assume security functions from the coalition this summer.

The Taliban claimed the attack in a posting on their website and said the bomber had joined the Afghan army a month ago "for this purpose." The Taliban said the target of the bomber, who the statement called "the hero," had been a meeting of senior military officials that included foreigners "on a base of the puppet army," the Taliban term for the Afghan army.

The statement claimed that 14 Afghan soldiers and 12 foreign soldiers had died. The Taliban frequently exaggerates the outcome of its attack.

Azimy confirmed, however, that the bomber was wearing an Afghan army uniform when he detonated his explosives.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Suicide attacks target Afghan police, killing 3

April 14, 2011 10:32 AM

world

Karzai blasts 'foreign agents' for Afghan suicide attack

April 13, 2011 07:36 AM

world

U.S. troops repel Taliban attack at eastern Afghan airport

April 06, 2011 09:16 AM

world

Afghans complain about NATO-led raid that killed 6

April 05, 2011 03:13 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story