McClatchy DC Logo

Gates: U.S. participation in Libya operation being scaled back | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Gates: U.S. participation in Libya operation being scaled back

Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 31, 2011 01:45 PM

WASHINGTON — The United States is scaling back its role in the international military operation against Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi and will not be sending U.S. troops into the war-stricken North African nation “as long as I’m in this job,” Defense Secretary Robert Gates asserted Thursday.

Gates was responding to sharp questions from members of both parties on the House Armed Services Committee who expressed deep reservations over the length, costs and objectives of the third major U.S. military engagement in the Muslim world.

“History has demonstrated that an entrenched enemy, like the Libyan regime, can be resilient to air power,” said Rep. Buck McKeon, R-Calif., the panel chairman. “With Iraq and Afghanistan already occupying a considerable share of American resources, I sincerely hope that this is not the start of a third elongated conflict.”

Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, were unable to say how long the operation would persist. But they made it clear that the United States was pulling back to a supporting role in which it would jam Gadhafi’s communications and provide in-air refueling, intelligence and other specialized aid to other members of the NATO-led coalition.

SIGN UP

“We will in coming days significantly ramp down our commitment of other military capabilities and resources in this operation,” said Gates, who added that U.S. aircraft would no longer take “an active part” in airstrikes against regime forces fighting to crush poorly armed and organized rebels.

Repeatedly pressed by members of both parties about whether there would be American “boots on the ground,” a euphemism for U.S. troops, Gates at one point replied, “Not as long as I’m in this job.”

The pair also were repeatedly prodded on whether the Obama administration would provide training and weapons to the rebels. Both men said that no decision had been made, but they strongly indicated that it was unlikely that the United States would take on that task.

“My view would be, if there is going to be that kind of assistance to the opposition, there are plenty of sources for it other than the United States,” Gates said. “Somebody else should do that.”

He declined to address the presence inside Libya of CIA teams that U.S. officials say are maintaining contact with the rebels and gathering intelligence on Gadhafi’s forces and targets for the multinational coalition enforcing a U.N. authorized no-fly zone and protecting civilian areas.

Gates and Mullen testified just hours after the 28-nation NATO alliance assumed overall command of the operation to enforce the no-fly zone, protect civilians and provide humanitarian assistance to war-stricken areas, most of which lie in eastern Libya, where the uprising erupted last month.

U.S.-led strikes by aircraft and cruise missiles that began just under two weeks ago have “degraded” Gadhafi’s better armed, trained and more numerous forces by 20 to 25 percent, Mullen said.

But those loses, he continued, haven’t been enough “to break” Gadhafi’s fighting ability.

The coalition attacks on Gadhafi’s airpower, armored forces and heavy artillery initially allowed the rebels based in the eastern city of Benghazi to mount a disorderly offensive that took them just short of the dictator’s hometown of Sirte.

But bad weather in the past few days forced a cutback in coalition air operations, allowing regime forces to recover much of the ground they lost.

Moreover, Mullen noted, Gadhafi’s forces have been using civilian vehicles similar to those of the rebels, making it harder for coalition pilots to differentiate between the sides.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

A day of battle shows Libyan rebels' weaknesses

March 29, 2011 07:13 PM

world

'Obama doctrine'? In Libya decision, there isn't one

March 28, 2011 09:20 PM

world

Obama: U.S. action in Libya necessary, unique and limited

March 28, 2011 08:51 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

These tattoos aren't artful—they help identify Iraq's dead

October 31, 2006 03:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story