McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. begins evacuation of Americans in Japan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. begins evacuation of Americans in Japan

Liz Ruskin - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 17, 2011 12:54 PM

TOKYO — The United States on Thursday began evacuating Americans from Japan amid fears that four tsunami-damaged nuclear reactors may be closer to a core meltdown.

The State Department said that it had arranged charter flights to South Korea and Taiwan for family members of embassy staff and other U.S. government personnel living in three major Japanese cities, Tokyo, Nagoya and Yokohama. Any American in Japan can take advantage of the U.S. flights, the State Department said, but private citizens would be expected to reimburse the government for the expense.

The U.S. Navy said it, too, would begin evacuating families of sailors stationed at two bases near Tokyo, Yokosuka Naval Base and Naval Air Facility Atsugi, starting Thursday night or Friday morning. In northern Japan, the commander of Misawa Air Base said it also would evacuate family members.

The announcement of evacuations from the Tokyo area, 150 miles south of the damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi power plant, heightened tension among foreigners in the Japanese capital and on the country's U.S. military bases, home to more than 38,000 active duty troops and 43,000 family members.

SIGN UP

Anxiety had been steadily rising in recent days as the extent of the reactors' problems became known, and conversation among Americans has focused on possible changes in wind direction that would blow more radioactive debris toward Tokyo, Yokohama and Nagoya.

On Wednesday, the United States embassy, acting on advice from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission in the United States, recommended that anyone living within 50 miles of the damaged reactors should leave, if possible. That's four times the size of the 12-mile evacuation zone Japan has ordered.

Thousands of foreign residents jammed the Justice Ministry's Tokyo Immigration Bureau Thursday to get re-entry permits, which they would need if they left Japan and then tried to come back into the country.

More than 2,500 people stood in line outside the office at mid-day, according to Kyodo News Agency. The office received 10,000 permit requests Wednesday and was on track to exceed that figure for Thursday, Kyodo reported.

The news of the voluntary evacuation delighted many at the Navy bases. Yokosuka detected slightly elevated airborne radiation levels this week and residents were advised to limit outdoor activities to avoid exposure. Thursday, their community forums were buzzing with detailed questions about which documents they would need to evacuate and what they should pack.

At Yokota Air Base near Tokyo, the largest of the military installations on Japan's main island, the base commander took to the military's FM radio channel to urge people to "breathe through your nose and relax." Col. Otto Feather said he expected a voluntary evacuation plan for Yokota would be announced in the next day or two.

"I know there are a lot of people trying to figure out how to get out of here ... . The last thing we want is people panicking and clamouring and clawing to get out of here, at a time when we need calm and patience," he said.

Yokota's air monitoring continued to show normal results, he said, and he said he and his wife planned to stay. The radio station replayed the interview with him every half hour.

Meredith Whitney, a civilian who works at Yokota's civil engineering squadron, said she noticed the base dividing into two camps: The worried and the un-worried.

"Most of the people I know have kids and so they're leaving, largely because they don't want to take any risks with their children," said Whitney, a native of Overland Park, Kan., who is married to a Coast Guard officer based at Yokota.

Whitney said she believes radiation levels have not reached unsafe levels and that she won't leave unless the evacuation becomes mandatory.

(Ruskin is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Americans in Japan voice anxiety over nuclear meltdowns

U.S. officials: Japanese should widen evacuation zone

Japan's crisis intensifies nuclear debate: Is it worth it?

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

‘They don’t get it.’ Reps. Cleaver, Clay blame McCaskill loss on poor black outreach

November 17, 2018 05:00 AM

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story