McClatchy DC Logo

Suicide attacker targets recruiting center in Kunduz province | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Suicide attacker targets recruiting center in Kunduz province

Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 14, 2011 08:37 AM

KABUL — A suicide attacker blew himself up in an army recruiting center in the northern Afghanistan province of Kunduz, killing at least 30 and injured 40 others on Monday officials said.

Kunduz province has been the target of a wave of attacks by insurgents as Afghan security forces are preparing to assume security responsibilities later this month. The attack was aimed at youths who came to the center to enroll for the service.

“The incident happened at 2 p.m. this afternoon when a suicide attacker, who had the army uniform, detonated his explosives which killed 33 youths of this province and injured 40 others who wanted to join the army,” Anwar Jegdalik, the provincial governor said.

"As the Afghan government is planning to take security responsibilities, the enemy does not want this to happen," Governor Jegdalik said.

SIGN UP

Among the dead were three army officers, the rest were civilians, including four street children, he said.

No one has claimed the responsibility for the attack yet, but in the past Taliban insurgents, who are fighting against Afghan and NATO forces, have taken credit for such attacks.

The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) issued a statement condemning the attack.

“There is no denying the disregard insurgents have for the sanctity of innocent life. The killing of civilians is a brutal tactic that further turns the Afghan population against the insurgency, and only strengthens the resolve of international forces,” said Rear Admiral Vic Beck, ISAF Director of Public Affairs. “We join President Karzai in condemning this atrocity.

The U.S. Embassy in Kabul also issued a statement condemning the attack.

"The United States Embassy strongly condemns the suicide attack which targeted an ANA recruitment facility in Kunduz Province today. This vicious attack killed more than 30 Afghans, including many brave recruits, and left dozens more wounded. We also condemn in the strongest terms last week’s attack that killed Kunduz Police Chief Abdul Rahman."

Afghan President Hamid Karzai condemned the attack in the strongest terms issued from the palace.

President Karzai called the attack 'a serious crime and an unforgivable act of terror against those who wanted to join in army ranks to protect their nation and territorial integrity.'

The president said "such terrorist actions can not affect the determination and moral of our youth to courageously prepare to serve their country, but will in contrast embolden their resolve and dedication to eliminate a cruel enemy that wants nothing but bloodletting."

“The enemy wants to create terror and frighten the people, not to join security forces in order to stop the country from providing its own security,” Gen. Ali Rezayee, the acting police chief for Kunduz, said.

Last week, the police chief of this province along with three others were killed in a suicide attack, for which Taliban insurgents got credit. And last month, over 30 people were killed in a census office while trying to get national identification cards in the Imam Saib district, which is 65 kilometers north of the provincial capital of Kunduz province. Also last year, the governor of Kunduz was killed in the neighboring province of Takhar while worshiping in a mosque.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Mitch McConnell, ‘Mr. Fix It,’ is not in the shutdown picture

January 04, 2019 05:14 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

These tattoos aren't artful—they help identify Iraq's dead

October 31, 2006 03:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story