McClatchy DC Logo

Guantanamo tribunals resume but death penalty questions remain | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Guantanamo tribunals resume but death penalty questions remain

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 11, 2011 07:07 AM

Now that the Obama administration has decided to go forward with both military trials and indefinite detention at Guantánamo, it has yet to resolve a key element: How does the Pentagon plan to execute war criminals condemned to death?

The question is particularly ripe as the Pentagon prepares its case against a Saudi-born captive blamed for the al Qaeda bombing of the USS Cole, Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, 46.

Suicide bombers killed 17 American sailors aboard the $1 billion destroyer off the coast of Yemen in October 2000. Pentagon lawyers during the Bush administration prepared a death penalty prosecution of Nashiri that alleged he was a co-conspirator.

His case is sure to stir controversy. The CIA acknowledges it waterboarded Nashiri, a self-described one-time millionaire from Mecca, before his September 2006 transfer to Guantánamo. The Associated Press also reported that a CIA agent revved an electric drill near Nashiri’s head and wielded a handgun during interrogation in a secret “black site” in Poland in 2002-2003.

SIGN UP

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates or his successor gets to decide how to carry out a military commissions execution under the latest Manual for Military Commissions, said Army Lt. Col. Tanya Bradsher, a Pentagon’s spokeswoman. But the manual does not spell out a method or venue.

Pentagon lawyers refused this week to say whether Gates had begun the process of soliciting suggested methods -- lethal injection vs. firing squad, for example. Nor would Defense officials say whether the military bureaucracy that prides itself on constant planning and readiness had already selected an execution site on the remote 45-square-mile U.S. Navy base that has an elementary school for sailors’ kids, golf course for off-duty troopers and church services for a variety of faiths.

One issue, they said, was whether the war court that Obama disparaged as a senator then reformed as president would follow the federal model of lethal injection. The last time the U.S. military carried out an execution it hanged an Army private at Fort Leavenworth on April 13, 1961, for the rape and attempted murder of an 11-year-old girl in occupied Austria.

Where to hold an execution could also present a problem. Bush administration era consideration of using the federal facility at Terra Haute, Ind., may be mooted by Congress’ ban on the Defense Department’s use of federal funds to move any war on terror captive from the base to U.S. soil. For any purpose.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Panetta: Osama bin Laden would go to Guantanamo if captured

February 17, 2011 07:01 AM

world

Guantanamo detainee might not return to Sudan after sentence

February 15, 2011 07:06 AM

world

Prisoners at Guantanamo's Camp 5 aren't like the others

February 28, 2011 10:13 PM

HOMEPAGE

Follow Carol Rosenberg's reports on Guantanamo on Twitter

August 10, 2010 01:05 PM

HOMEPAGE

See the images of Guantanamo detainees at The Miami Herald

January 11, 2010 07:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation ruling at FindLaw.com

May 20, 2009 02:39 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story