McClatchy DC Logo

Pro-Gadhafi forces appear to take the initiative | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Pro-Gadhafi forces appear to take the initiative

Nancy A. Youssef and Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 07, 2011 07:37 PM

RAS LANOUF, Libya — As the U.S. and NATO allies debated a no-fly zone and other military options in Libya, forces loyal to Moammar Gadhafi appeared to seize the initiative Monday in brutal counter-assaults against opponents of the Libyan leader.

In the western city of Zawiya, government forces, backed by as many as 50 tanks, inflicted heavy damage and killed dozens of rebel fighters and civilians, a resident said, seizing at least partial control of a city that had been in rebel hands.

In eastern Libya, pro-Gadhafi forces conducted air strikes on Ras Lanouf, a key rebel-held oil terminal. Some fighters, unnerved by their first defeat Sunday in the town of Bin Jawwad, fled Ras Lanouf after hearing rumors of a Gadhafi ground offensive that never came.

In Washington, the White House said it's studying military options, including imposing a no-fly zone, and President Barack Obama reiterated a warning that Gadhafi and his allies would be held accountable for atrocities against civilians.

SIGN UP

But developments raised the question of whether outside help, if it comes, would come too late.

In Benghazi, the de facto capital of the rebel-held east, Libyans' frustrations with the United States grow with each passing day of fighting. The lack of international help for their movement ensures a long battle and many casualties, fighters say.

The U.S. position is baffling, they said.

"We can't determine if it is a negative or positive attitude from the United States because we think that Obama is holding the stick in the middle," said one Benghazi resident, who requested anonymity for security reasons. "He has previous commitments with the Gadhafi regime. He is also thinking about whether the rebels take over. The U.S. position is not clear."

The 28-nation NATO alliance decided Monday to expand air surveillance of Libya from 10 hours a day to 24, said U.S. ambassador to NATO Ivo Daalder, a step that could be a prelude to enforcing a no-fly zone prohibiting Gadhafi's forces from using air power.

But Daalder said discussions of a no-fly zone are still in the preliminary stage, and he questioned whether enforcing one would change the military situation on the ground.

"The overall air activity has not been the deciding factor in the ongoing unrest," he said, noting that Libyan jet fighter activity actually decreased over the weekend after peaking at the end of last week.

NATO also prepared to make ships and planes available to help evacuate refugees and deliver humanitarian supplies. Alliance defense ministers will discuss Libya when they meet Thursday in Brussels.

A no-fly zone also faces diplomatic obstacles. Daalder and other U.S. officials said Monday that the step would almost certainly require authorization from the United Nations Security Council — a step Russia and China are likely to veto.

Obama renewed a warning that Gadhafi's associates would be held accountable "for whatever violence continues to take place." But the warning appeared to have negligible immediate impact.

A resident of Zawiya, reached by phone, painted a grim picture of what was taking place in the city, 30 miles west of Tripoli. Regime troops, he said, were "attacking the people, destroying everything, killing civilians, everything."

The resident, who can't be named for safety reasons, estimated that 60 rebel fighters and an unknown number of Gadhafi loyalists had been killed.

"The people, they have nothing. They're just trying to fight (with) hunting guns, something like that. We don't have heavy guns," he said. "They are now exploding the gas stations, a lot of houses have been destroyed today. . . . Nobody is standing with us now."

In Ras Lanouf, panic set in about Gadhafi's next move within hours of the rebels' first loss at Bin Jawwad, which Gadhafi forces took Sunday. At around 3:30 a.m., residents in Ras Lanouf began waking one another, warning of a Gadhafi attack.

As young men scrambled over stucco walls with assault rifles slung over their backs, streams of cars with the few remaining women and children headed for the main highway.

They converged at the first service station to fill up.

Salem Abu Zayed, 18, said he'd fought in Bin Jawwad, until Gadhafi forces arrested his cousins, he said. Now he said he's getting his family out of the city and then would return.

"The forces are coming from Sirte," he said confidently, though he couldn't say how he knew.

But the feared attack never came. On Monday, Libyan aircraft bombed Ras Lanouf, and some rebel fighters girded for battle.

Tomorrow, they said, Gadhafi forces would strike.

(Youssef reported from Ras Lanouf, Strobel, from Washington. Ameera Butt of the Merced-Sun Star contributed to this article from Merced, Calif. Steven Thomma contributed from Washington.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Gadhafi accused of genocide against his own people

Experts: Libya could inspire new uprisings, or crackdowns

Huge Bahraini counter-protests reflects rising sectarian strife

Check out McClatchy's national security blog: Nukes & Spooks

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

After loss, rebels tell of their setback against Gadhafi's superior arms

March 06, 2011 05:50 PM

world

Libya rebels advance toward Sirte, keep fighting in Zawiya

March 05, 2011 06:08 PM

world

Massive blast rips arms depot key to Libya rebels

March 04, 2011 05:30 PM

world

Like new Middle East, Obama doctrine is a work in progress

March 04, 2011 03:56 PM

world

Wave of protests now touches nearly all of Arab world

March 04, 2011 12:22 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

‘They don’t get it.’ Reps. Cleaver, Clay blame McCaskill loss on poor black outreach

November 17, 2018 05:00 AM

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story