McClatchy DC Logo

What's next for Egypt now that Mubarak's refused to resign? | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

What's next for Egypt now that Mubarak's refused to resign?

Hannah Allam and Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 10, 2011 09:06 PM

CAIRO — A defiant President Hosni Mubarak refused to step down Thursday, saying in a televised speech that he'd remain Egypt's head of state until elections in the fall but had delegated powers to his vice president.

Anticipation turned to rage in Cairo's main square, where hundreds of thousands of Egyptians had gathered in hopes of witnessing history: a 17-day-old popular rebellion ending 30 years of U.S.-supported authoritarian rule. When Mubarak made it clear that he would stay, protesters sobbed, embraced in anguish and chanted, "Leave! Leave!"

The brief speech, Mubarak's third since the revolt began on Jan. 25, revealed an octogenarian president who appears willing to risk an escalation of violence before giving up his post. To those allied with the protest movement, Mubarak's refusal to step aside amounted to a declaration of war against his own people, and they vowed retaliation in nationwide demonstrations planned for Friday.

Late Thursday, satellite TV channels reported that hundreds of protesters had gathered in front the heavily guarded presidential palace and were planning marches on other sensitive sites, an ominous sign for the rallies Friday.

SIGN UP

The crowds in Tahrir Square booed and showed their disgust by waving their shoes when Mubarak, in tones the protesters described as patronizing, waxed nostalgic about his military service and affirmed his commitment to reforming the constitution, which was designed to keep his regime in power.

The constitution, Mubarak said, allowed him to transfer executive power to his newly appointed vice president, former intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, who already had been tasked with overseeing the reform process. The constitution allows such a move "due to any temporary obstacle" but doesn't require the president's resignation, nor does it bar him from reclaiming the powers at a later date.

Shashank Bengali talks about how jubilation turned to fury in Cairo. Read his story.

In a strongly worded statement Thursday evening, President Barack Obama urged Egyptian officials to "explain the changes . . . and to spell out in clear and unambiguous language" the steps that the regime is taking to address protesters' demands.

"The Egyptian people have been told that there was a transition of authority, but it is not yet clear that this transition is immediate, meaningful or sufficient," Obama said. "The Egyptian government must put forward a credible, concrete and unequivocal path toward genuine democracy, and they have not yet seized that opportunity."

Stephen P. Cohen, a U.S. scholar who's served as an intermediary between Arab and Israeli leaders and has known Suleiman for years, said Mubarak's refusal to step down is pushing Egypt into "the kind of dangers of an endgame" of unknown consequences.

"People are behaving in ways that are not entirely rational right now," said Cohen, the head of the Institute for Middle East Peace and Development in New York. "But I don't think the military is going to change its mind about crushing the demonstrators. I don't think it will do that."

He said it's unlikely that Suleiman will be any more successful at resolving the crisis with the executive powers conferred on him by Mubarak than the Egyptian leader himself has been.

"I think that he (Mubarak) has basically given Suleiman damaged goods because he no longer has much credibility because of the person who is giving him the appointment, and because of the way they are alienating the people," Cohen said.

Mubarak also said panels of independent legal experts were making progress on constitutional amendments that would ease conditions for presidential candidacy, set term limits and offer more judicial oversight in elections — all issues that were among the protesters' chief demands.

"I have given you this vision under commitment to take the country out of this current crisis and I will continue to accomplish it and monitor the situation hour by hour," Mubarak said. "I'm looking forward to the support of all those who are concerned about security and want a secure Egypt."

All eyes are now on Egypt's army, perhaps the last credible institution in the country, which had served as a buffer between the regime and the protesters. Opposition leaders said the military should make clear its position: Would it continue to protect the foundering government, or side with protesters who've had their fill of hollow promises?

"Egypt will explode. Army must save the country now," the Nobel laureate and opposition figure Mohamed ElBaradei wrote on his Twitter account.

All day, rumors had swirled that Mubarak would step down and hand over authority to a military-led council. Expectations soared when the military announced on state television that its supreme council was in session, an indication that it was prepared to take control. The military had no immediate reaction after the speech.

"It's becoming clearer that run-of-the-mill negotiations aren't going to force him to leave," said a U.S. official, who asked not to be further identified because of the sensitivity of the issue. "He appears to be gambling that the army is going to stay loyal." Mubarak is "operating in somewhat of a vacuum, I would suspect," added the official.

(Jonathan S. Landay contributed from Washington. McClatchy special correspondent Miret el Naggar contributed from Cairo.)

ON THE WEB

Charlie Rose interview with Stephen P. Cohen

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Egypt's vice president not seen as force for reform

Egypt's working class joins anti-government revolt

In Republic of Tahrir, Egypt gets its Woodstock

Despite talk of concessions, Egyptian military cracking down

Despite close contacts, U.S. in dark about Egypt military's views

Why has Egypt's army not confronted protests?

Follow developments in Egypt on McClatchy's Middle East Diary.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Obama officials surprised by Mubarak's decision to stay

February 10, 2011 08:32 PM

world

The big question: What will Egypt's army do?

February 10, 2011 08:32 PM

world

Statement of President Barack Obama on Egypt

February 10, 2011 07:59 PM

world

In Cairo's Tahrir Square, festive mood turns furious

February 10, 2011 06:49 PM

world

Egypt's vice president not seen as force for reform

February 09, 2011 08:37 PM

world

In the 'Republic of Tahrir,' Egypt gets its Woodstock moment

February 08, 2011 07:03 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story