McClatchy DC Logo

Southern Sudanese soldiers mutiny; clashes leave 41 dead | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Southern Sudanese soldiers mutiny; clashes leave 41 dead

Alan Boswell - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 05, 2011 04:13 PM

JUBA, Sudan — Clashes spread across a key border region in southern Sudan on Saturday following a wave of mutinies among southerners in the northern army, leaving at least 41 dead as Sudan begins to divide into two nations following a southern referendum on independence last month.

Official results show that southerners voted 99 percent for forming their own country, and full independence is set to take effect in July this year. The referendum was the core provision of a U.S.-brokered 2005 peace deal between Sudan's Arab government in the north and the rebellious African south, ending decades of war that killed 2 million people.

The recent violence broke out on Thursday in Malakal, the capital of Upper Nile state, as the northern army, the Sudan Armed Forces, began withdrawing its remaining contingents in the south.

Former southern militiamen in the northern army mutinied against other southern soldiers and northern commanders, refusing to relocate to the north with all their weaponry. The fighting continued throughout the day on Friday. At least 22 are confirmed dead, mostly soldiers, according to a United Nations official, who said the fighting had mostly stopped by Saturday. The official could not be named because he's not authorized to speak to the media on the matter.

SIGN UP

Similar uprisings within the SAF ranks erupted on Saturday in the Upper Nile towns of Melut, Paloich, and Maban, said Malaak Ayuen, head of information in Southern Sudan's army, the ex-rebel Sudan People's Liberation Army.

"The fighting has spread across Upper Nile," said Ayuen, who could not yet give total casualty figures. The SPLA has stepped in to try to quell the fighting but was not part of the original clashes, according to officials.

On Saturday, the uprising began at Paloich, the base of Sudan's most productive oil fields, before spreading 20 miles to the SAF base in Melut town. There, at least 18 soldiers were killed, said Akuoc Teng Diing, the Melut County commissioner.

"The bodies are still being collected and the number is rising," said Akuoc, speaking by phone from the clash site mid-day Saturday.

Although part of the northern army, the vast majority of the SAF soldiers in these bases are southerners. Many are longtime veterans who fought in the national army against the southern rebels.

But others only officially integrated into SAF after the peace deal. During the war, they were part of a patchwork tribal militias that controlled most of Upper Nile, supported by the northern Sudanese government in Khartoum to wage proxy war against the SPLA and keep the key border region open for oil exploration.

According to officials, it is these former militiamen who are behind the uprisings.

With all SAF forces now required to withdraw to the north and the southerners within its ranks disarmed and discharged back to the south, the ex-militia elements are resisting the move.

The mutineers also are fighting to keep some of the heavy weaponry in the south, and in their hands. "SAF is saying no, this is ours, we can take it if we want," said the U.N. official.

The fighting in Malakal had mostly stopped by Saturday, but isolated gunshots could still be heard.

In Melut county, the mutineers have grabbed the upper hand.

"The pro-north group (of 100-120 men) has been evicted from the barracks, they are at-large, they are armed," said the U.N. official.

SAF bases are spread across the south in major towns and oil fields, and they all must be withdrawn to the north by April.

Large contingents of the SPLA remain in the north as well, especially in flashpoint border states of Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile. The SPLA says it has no plans to immediately withdraw from those areas.

(Boswell is a McClatchy special correspondent. His reporting from Sudan is supported in part by Humanity United, a California-based foundation that focuses on human rights issues.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

As Sudan makes split official, popular anger sweeps north

What's behind the unrest in the Arab world? An explainer

Obama faces tough choices as protests sweep Egypt

After days of looting, once-vibrant Cairo smolders

U.S. built highway to southern Sudan paved with hope

Southern Sudan's vote inspires hope for a better life

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story