McClatchy DC Logo

Cambodian, Thai troops trade fire in disputed border area | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Cambodian, Thai troops trade fire in disputed border area

Somchai Kwanjikswet, Peter Janssen and Robert Carmichael - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 04, 2011 06:49 PM

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia — Cambodian and Thai forces engaged in several hours of shelling and gunfire Friday on disputed ground near an 11th-century Hindu temple on Cambodia's northern border.

Phay Siphan, a Cambodian government spokesman, said military commanders on both sides would meet to ensure there was no further violence.

He said he had no information on casualty figures on the Cambodian side.

Earlier, the Bangkok Post newspaper reported "two or three" Thai soldiers had been wounded, citing a military source.

SIGN UP

Each side blamed the other for sparking the violence, which followed hard on the heels of pledges by both nations' foreign ministers earlier in the day to work to avoid conflict.

Phay Siphan claimed fighting had started after Thai troops crossed into Cambodian territory and said more than 100 Thai artillery shells later landed in a civilian area.

"A report from the battlefield said they used 105 mm artillery and shelled into Svay Chum commune, a civilian target with no military presence," he said, adding that all civilians had since left the area.

He said Cambodian forces had captured four Thai soldiers during clashes and that the four were being well treated.

Earlier, a Thai military spokesman said "a misunderstanding" was likely behind the fighting. Col. Sansern Keowkhamnerd said Thailand had fired artillery shells in response to Cambodian shelling of Thai territory.

"We still don't want to disclose what caused the attack, but I believe it was a misunderstanding," he said.

Thai radio reports said about 20 Cambodian shells had landed on Thailand's side of the border in Kantalarak district in Si Sa Ket province, about 215 mileseast of Bangkok.

The Thai army was reportedly bulldozing a road in the border area, which has been the subject of numerous spats over the past two and a half years.

Phay Siphan said fighting started at 3 p.m. local time (0800 GMT) and continued for more than two hours near disputed land near Preah Vihear temple that has sparked deadly clashes between Thailand and Cambodia before.

He said the nearby Keo Sikha Kirisvara temple, which Thailand claims stands on disputed territory, had been shelled Friday although the extent of the damage was unclear.

Bangkok recently insisted that Phnom Penh remove a Cambodian flag flying over the temple, a demand Foreign Minister Hor Namhong rejected earlier Friday after a meeting with his Thai counterpart.

The clashes came hours after Hor Namhong and Thai Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya wrapped up a meeting stating that a recent build-up of troops at the border should not lead to violence.

Thai and Cambodian forces have faced off along the mountain range around the Preah Vihear temple since July 2008 when UNESCO declared the edifice a World Heritage Site despite Thai objections.

Although the World Court on 1962 ruled that the temple belonged to Cambodia, Thailand claims a 1.8-square-mile plot of land adjacent to the temple and has blocked Cambodian's efforts to turn the site into a tourism attraction until the border dispute is settled.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Nobody knows exactly how many assault rifles exist in the U.S. – by design

February 23, 2018 06:21 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story