McClatchy DC Logo

In shift, U.S. says it might reject Haiti election results | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

In shift, U.S. says it might reject Haiti election results

Lesley Clark and Jacqueline Charles - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 07, 2011 07:56 PM

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Friday didn't rule out that it could support tossing out the results of Haiti's disputed presidential election if a soon-to-be-released review calls for it.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's chief of staff, Cheryl Mills, said the agency is waiting for the findings from a team of election experts convened by the Organization of American States to determine its course.

Should the panel call for canceling the elections and/or scheduling a do-over, Mills said, "We obviously would be interested to understand how they came to those conclusions, would want to review whether or not those conclusions were one that we thought we, too, could support.

"All those are things we would be prepared to entertain, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what we would do, obviously, because until we know what they concluded and how they concluded it, we're not in the best position to be able to do that," she said.

SIGN UP

Twelve of the 19 candidates on the Nov. 28 presidential ballot have pressed for the elections to be canceled, citing massive fraud. At issue is whether current President Rene Preval's choice, Jude Celestin, garnered enough votes over musician Michel "Sweet Micky" Martelly to advance to a runoff against former first lady Mirlande Manigat.

The resulting furor has hampered efforts to fight cholera, overshadowed reconstruction and sparked tension among a population preparing to commemorate the anniversary of the earthquake that killed more than 200,000. For days, unconfirmed rumors have circulated about the findings in the final report, which is expected to be delivered to Preval either over the weekend or next week.

Mills' remarks constitute a shift for the U.S., which has said it would like for Preval to pass the presidential sash over to an elected government that includes a president and members of both chambers of parliament. All would have to be redone if the elections are canceled.

Kenneth Merten, the U.S. ambassador to Haiti, told McClatchy last month that the U.S. didn't back a transitional government.

Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive told McClatchy last week that one of the best legacies of his and Preval's government would be to pass the government on to an elected successor, fearing that a provisional government would set back the country.

"We have to come out of the crisis with a result that is not putting too much at stake — the stability that we have reached the last four years," Bellerive said.

After an electoral council announced that Celestin was in the runoff, Martelly's supporters spent three days setting the capital and major Haitian cities ablaze, destroying businesses. The fear of violence continues to loom no matter what the review finds. Ultimately, the decision on whether to accept the OAS results and cancel the elections lies with Preval, who asked for the OAS mission last month.

Mills' remarks — which came at a briefing about progress in Haiti — follow a meeting Thursday at the White House between Vice President Joe Biden and more than a dozen Haitian-Americans, who said they cautioned Biden against supporting any effort to use the results of the election to select the country's new president.

"Forcing a runoff with the results of that election is not going to be advantageous to Haiti or the United States," said Jean-Robert Lafortune, the chairman of the Haitian-American Grassroots Coalition. "We would spend five more years in political turmoil. We gave that message in many shapes and forms to the vice president."

Mills wouldn't say whether the U.S. would support Preval remaining in office beyond his term. Under an agreement with the Haitian Senate, Preval could remain in office until May 14 if no president has been elected. Haiti's constitution calls for a new president to assume office on Feb. 7 every five years — but it also calls for an elected president to serve out a five-year mandate, which for Preval would be May 14.

"I think all of those are things that I think are going to really play out in the next week or so," Mills said, adding that the OAS review "will actually help shape whether or not there can be and on what timeline there would be a transitional government."

Daniel Supplice, a political adviser to Martelly, said Friday that "if everyone agrees that the fraud is so massive that the elections should be redone, then we would support it."

Manigat, in an interview on local Haitian radio, said she'd only favor a transitional government to finish the election. She doesn't support a do-over, as other candidates have suggested.

Mills reiterated that the U.S. had initially expressed concerns about the election, saying the announced results were "inconsistent with at least the preliminary analysis, information, quick counts and other things that we had been privy to."

Mills pointed to post-earthquake accomplishments in Haiti, but she acknowledged enormous work ahead, with next week's anniversary coming at a time of extreme political instability.

Mills said the U.S. and the international community wants to support "a way that ensures that the people of Haiti both get the leadership that they voted for, but they also get the kind of leadership that they need in the future."

(Clark reported from Washington. Charles, of the Miami Herald, reported from Port-au-Prince.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

In Haiti, tensions around an army of foreign do-gooders

Haiti's fanal lights are a sign of the holidays

Haitians starting to leave tent cities

New violence in Haiti over results of presidential election

Haiti elections marred by fraud allegations, protests

Follow the latest politics news at McClatchy's Planet Washington

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story