McClatchy DC Logo

Coordinated bombings kill at least 14 in Iraq's Anbar province | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Coordinated bombings kill at least 14 in Iraq's Anbar province

Jamal Naji - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 27, 2010 11:39 AM

FALLUJAH, Iraq — Suicide bombers struck outside government offices in western Iraq on Monday morning, killing 14 people and wounding dozens in a pair of attacks that were the deadliest since Iraq's new government was announced last week.

The attacks in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province, 60 miles west of Baghdad, marked the second time this month that the provincial government offices were targeted.

It was the first major attack since Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki assumed temporary control of national security matters. In announcing his new Cabinet last week, Maliki left open the sensitive posts of the ministers of defense, interior and national security, saying he needed several more weeks to vet candidates.

Witnesses said that a driver detonated a car bomb at a security checkpoint near the entrance to the provincial government headquarters at around 9 a.m. A few minutes later, after people had gathered at the blast site, a man who was wearing a police uniform exploded a suicide vest, targeting the crowd.

SIGN UP

Hospital officials in Ramadi said that six of the dead were police officers or Iraqi soldiers. The death toll was likely to rise; many of the at least 53 wounded were in serious condition.

Muhammed Kerdoss al Zobai, 45, said he'd just reached the site of the first blast — where rescue workers had gathered and were carrying away bodies — when the second explosion shook the ground.

"I was swept off my feet and came crashing to the ground," Zobai said. "I got up and started home without looking back."

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

Anbar province was a hotbed of the Sunni Muslim Arab insurgency at the start of the Iraq War but had calmed in recent years, after local tribesmen turned against the insurgent group al Qaida in Iraq and joined up with the U.S. military.

In recent months, however, Sunni militants have targeted Iraqi government and security outposts periodically, and were responsible for the shocking assault Oct. 31 on a church in Baghdad, which left 58 dead.

Monday's attack occurred on the day that a new provincial police chief took office. The previous chief was deposed after several security breaches, including a suicide car bombing outside the same government building Dec. 12, which killed about a dozen people.

Naji is a McClatchy special correspondent.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

For Christians in Iraq, a Christmas of mourning and fear

U.S. plan to curb Maliki lagging as Iraq forms government

Iraq unveils a government, but key posts remain open

Death toll rises to 58 in Iraqi church rescue

Follow developments in the Middle East at McClatchy's Middle East Diary

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

For Christians in Iraq, a Christmas of mourning and fear

December 24, 2010 03:54 PM

world

Iraq unveils a government, but key posts remain open

December 21, 2010 03:35 PM

world

Amid the chaos, Iraqis turn to TV, Web to be heard

December 17, 2010 03:56 PM

world

Saddam-era U.N. sanctions lifted on Iraq after 20 years

December 15, 2010 05:14 PM

world

With U.S. presence fading in Iraq, ex-militia faces uncertain future

December 06, 2010 04:39 PM

special-reports

WikiLeaks: Maliki filled Iraqi security services with Shiites

December 03, 2010 06:11 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Even if Congress says yes, Trump’s border wall faces these four big hurdles

January 05, 2018 04:37 PM

Israel confounded, confused by Syria withdrawal, Mattis resignation

December 21, 2018 04:51 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story