McClatchy DC Logo

New violence in Haiti over results of presidential election | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

New violence in Haiti over results of presidential election

Jacqueline Charles - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 09, 2010 03:46 PM

PORT-AU-PRINCE — Clashes and shooting were reported Thursday in Haiti's capital for a second day as demonstrators staged a march to protest what they said was election fraud in the Nov. 28 presidential elections.

At least one person was reported dead in the renewed violence. Frantz Lerebours, the Haitian National Police spokesman, also said that one person had been killed on Wednesday in Les Cayes, a seaside city in the southwest, as a mob tried to burn a local election office. In the north, in Cap-Haitien, gangs clashed but no deaths were reported, Lerebours said.

The protests broke out Wednesday after election officials announced Tuesday night that two candidates had made it into a runoff: Mirlande Manigat, a former first lady, and Jude Célestin, the candidate of current President René Préval's party. Out of the running was Michel "Sweet Micky'' Martelly, who early results had shown running second.

Haitian elections officials said Thursday they will review the tallies of the top three vote getters under the watchful eyes of both Haitian and foreign observers.

SIGN UP

The Provisional Electoral Council said that after reviewing the tallies assigned to Manigat, Célestin and Martelly for irregularities, it might ask for a vote recount.

The three leading candidates will be allowed to be present for the review.

While the audit is going, Gaillot Dorsinvil, president of the council, urged the candidates to join electoral institutions in an appeal for calm.

Since the results were released, protesters have paralyzed the capital with demonstrations, set fires and barricaded the streets.

Read the complete story at miamiherald.com

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story