McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. drops push for Israeli freeze on settlement construction | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. drops push for Israeli freeze on settlement construction

Sheera Frenkel - McClatchy News

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 07, 2010 07:15 PM

JERUSALEM — The U.S. has given up on trying to persuade Israel to declare a moratorium on new building in the West Bank in an effort to win Palestinian participation in face-to-face peace talks, the Obama administration said Tuesday.

"After consultation with the parties, we have determined that a moratorium extension will not at this time provide the best basis for resuming direct negotiations," according to a statement provided by the White House. A spokesman specified that the statement should be attributed to "U.S. officials."

The Palestinian Authority has insisted that it will not engage in direct talks with Israel unless Israel freezes all construction for Jewish settlers in the West Bank, something the Israelis have refused to do, even after the Obama administration offered to provide Israel with 20 F-35 fighter jets worth $3 billion in return for a 90-day freeze.

The official U.S. statement, however, rejected the idea that the peace talks are dead.

SIGN UP

"In the coming days and weeks, we will engage with both sides on the core substantive issues at stake in this conflict, and with the Arab states and other international partners on creating a firm basis to work toward our shared goal of a framework agreement on all permanent status issues — a goal to which we and the parties remain committed," the statement said. "We will continue these efforts next week when the Israeli and Palestinian negotiators visit Washington next week."

There was no immediate reaction from either the Israelis or the Palestinians. Israeli officials have said that previous freezes did little to push forward talks, and accused the Palestinians of setting preconditions to the peace talks.

Earlier in the day, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak told a parliamentary committee that a deal was never reached on a building freeze because the U.S. was preoccupied with the diplomatic crisis over the WikiLeaks cables.

"At the moment, (the talks) have been completely halted," Barak told the Knesset's Committee on Foreign Affairs and Defense.

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor denied the WikiLeaks connection.

"That's completely inaccurate," he said in an e-mail. "There's no connection between WikiLeaks and these negotiations."

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas suggested in a television interview last week that he would dissolve the Palestinian government, a limited form of self-rule agreed in an interim deal in 1993, if a deal for statehood couldn't be achieved.

In March 2010, U.S. officials announced that they would begin mediating indirect "proximity" talks, which involved diplomats shuttling between Israeli and Palestinian leadership.

Those talks were expected to move toward direct negotiations, and the White House hosted a ceremony in September to announce the talks.

But the Israeli renewal of construction in the settlements just a few weeks later meant that the direct talks never got off the ground. The American negotiating team, led by U.S. Mideast envoy George Mitchell, has struggled to bring the two sides to the same negotiating table ever since.

(Frenkel is a McClatchy special correspondent. Margaret Talev in Washington contributed to this article.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Feeling spurned by Turkey, Israel turns to Greece

Israel names Iran expert as new Mossad chief

WikiLeaks release reveals embarrassing diplomatic details

Israelis debate swapping settlements freeze for U.S. jets

It's about to get more complicated for town on Israel-Lebanon border

Follow McClatchy on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story