McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. could be in Afghanistan beyond 2015, NATO official says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. could be in Afghanistan beyond 2015, NATO official says

Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

November 17, 2010 06:32 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A top NATO official said Wednesday that a complete handover of security to Afghan forces by 2014 was "realistic, but not guaranteed," and the transition could last into 2015 "or beyond."

Mark Sedwill, NATO's senior civilian representative in Afghanistan, cautioned there could be "levels of violence that are, by Western standards, pretty eye-watering" even after 2014.

Sedwill spoke on the eve of a NATO summit in Lisbon, Portugal, at which the alliance is expected to agree on a framework for the eventual departure of international troops from Afghanistan, where they've been fighting for nine years.

His remarks appeared aimed at conditioning weary American and European publics to the likelihood that the transition won't be clear-cut or inexpensive. They threw the end date for U.S. and other foreign combat forces further into question.

SIGN UP

Aides to President Barack Obama now are playing down the deadline of July 2011, when the first U.S. troops are supposed to withdraw — at least according to Obama's speech last December.

That date has long been a point of contention between the White House, which is trying to allay concerns at home, and the Pentagon, where officials say more time is needed to conduct a counterinsurgency strategy.

Sedwill said there'd been a "refocus of attention on 2014" as the transition date.

In Washington, a defense official said the Obama administration recognized that NATO training and assistance would continue beyond 2014, but he said the training, advising and limited logistical support would be the major mission. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to talk to reporters.

Under a classified campaign plan that Sedwill and military commander U.S. Gen. David Petraeus submitted in advance of the summit, the Afghan army and police assume control of security in most Afghan provinces four years from now. The process is supposed to begin in the first half of 2011.

The 2014 date, first suggested by Afghan President Hamid Karzai last year, "is a goal. We've always been clear about that," Sedwill said. The report to NATO leaders says that date "is realistic, but not guaranteed," he added.

Under the plan, international troops will move from partnering with Afghan forces to mentoring them to "strategic overwatch" from a distance, a pattern borrowed from the U.S. troop drawdown in Iraq.

Even after 2014, there may be regions in which Afghan forces aren't in the lead, and troops of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force will be on the streets, Sedwill said. "That might last into 2015, or beyond."

Some violence is also likely to continue, he predicted, saying it would be more criminal than political.

Obama deployed an additional 30,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan earlier this year. Military officials say that the troop surge, a revised war strategy and stepped-up attacks on the Taliban-led insurgency have reversed the insurgency's momentum.

"The key judgment (in the classified report) is that we believe we are regaining the initiative. ... It's still clearly fragile. ... But we believe in 2010 we have achieved what we wanted to. ... We think we are in a different mode," Sedwill said.

He acknowledged that Karzai's criticism, in a recent Washington Post interview, of stepped-up coalition "night raids," aimed at seizing insurgents and arms, wasn't helpful. "I'd rather we be discussing these things privately," he said.

The envoy cautioned that U.S., European and allied nations would reap a "dividend" in terms of troops returning home and budget savings toward the end of the process. "The transition dividend doesn't come through on Day One," he said.

(Jonathan S. Landay contributed to this article from Washington.)MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Under new plan, U.S. troops will stay in Afghanistan until 2014

Afghan election panel reports new evidence of serious fraud

U.S., Kazakhstan complete secret transfer of nuclear materials

Check out McClatchy's national security blog, Nukes & Spooks

Follow Afghanistan developments at McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul blog

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story