McClatchy DC Logo

Iraq suffers deadliest day since U.S. drawdown | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Iraq suffers deadliest day since U.S. drawdown

Shashank Bengali and Mohammed al Dulaimy - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

September 19, 2010 12:40 PM

BAGHDAD — A string of bombings killed 37 people Sunday in Iraq's deadliest day since Aug. 31, when President Barack Obama said the U.S. military's seven-year-old combat mission there had ended.

Twin car bombs exploded within moments of each other around 11 a.m. in Baghdad — one near a facility housing federal police, which killed 19 people, the other a few miles away at a busy intersection in the Mansour neighborhood, killing 10, Iraqi authorities said. More than 110 people were injured.

Hours later, a suicide bomber drove into an Iraqi army checkpoint in central Fallujah, a heavily guarded city 40 miles west of Baghdad. Three soldiers and three civilians were killed, and 14 others were injured.

The bombings underscored the dangers still posed by insurgents as American troops cede control over security to Iraqi forces. The U.S. military has drawn down to fewer than 50,000 soldiers who now serve in what officials describe as an advisory role, although they have continued to engage in military operations alongside Iraqi forces.

SIGN UP

Although Iraqi military and police now man the country's ubiquitous checkpoints, they remain vulnerable to attack and have failed to win public confidence.

The attack in Fallujah was particularly brazen because Iraqi security forces guard all entrances to the city and bar nonresidents from entering. While no group immediately claimed responsibility, the attack might have been in response to last week's joint U.S.-Iraqi military raid on a suspected insurgent's residence, which left seven people dead, including a fifth-grade boy.

Insurgents also appear to be exploiting a power vacuum in Iraq as negotiations over forming a new government remain deadlocked six months after national elections.

The Iraqiyah political bloc led by former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, which won a narrow plurality of parliamentary seats in March, issued a statement expressing "deep concern at the deterioration of security in Iraqi cities" and denouncing the loss of life in the Fallujah raid.

In a separate incident, a so-called sticky bomb stuck to a minibus exploded on a highway near the Ghazaliyah section of Baghdad, killing a father and his son.

Two mortar shells struck the U.S. Embassy inside the fortified Green Zone in central Baghdad but caused no injuries, according to Iraqi police. As a policy, the U.S. Embassy wouldn't confirm whether there had been an attack.

(Dulaimy is a McClatchy special correspondent. Special correspondent Jamal Naji contributed to this article from Fallujah.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iraqi forces struggling, forcing U.S. troops to fight

End of combat mission? U.S.-Iraqi raid in Fallujah kills 6

Amnesty International slams Iraq over prison torture

U.S. officials defend Iraq against attack _ from the GAO

McClatchy's Middle East Diary

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

As Iraq winds down, U.S. Army confronts a broken force

September 17, 2010 05:49 PM

world

Iraqi forces struggling, forcing U.S. troops to fight

September 17, 2010 04:48 PM

world

End of combat mission? U.S.-Iraqi raid in Fallujah kills 6

September 15, 2010 09:34 AM

world

U.S. officials defend Iraq against attack — from the GAO

September 14, 2010 03:56 PM

national

U.S. Army sniper tells of 'million dollar shot' in Iraq

September 14, 2010 07:15 AM

world

Four escape U.S. custody at Iraq prison that held Saddam

September 09, 2010 03:05 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story