McClatchy DC Logo

U.S. still holds detainee Pentagon wanted freed in 2004 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S. still holds detainee Pentagon wanted freed in 2004

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

August 17, 2010 06:49 PM

An emotionally ill detainee still being held at the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was first recommended for release by the Pentagon in 2004, according to a federal judge whose ruling ordering that the man be freed was made public this week.

Despite the Pentagon's recommendation, it wasn't until 2007 that the Bush administration adopted the military assessment and put Adnan Abdul Latif, now about 34, on an approved transfer list. By then, however, the issue of transferring prisoners to Yemen, Osama bin Laden's ancestral homeland, was mired in a diplomatic standoff over whether the Arabian Peninsula nation could provide security assurances and rehabilitate suspected radicalized Guantanamo detainees.

U.S. District Court Judge Henry Kennedy disclosed the timeline in a heavily censored 28-page ruling made public on Monday night that ordered Latif set free. Latif is the 38th Guantanamo captive to be found by a federal judge to be illegally detained at the remote U.S. Navy base.

Kennedy first ordered the Obama administration to arrange for Latif's release "forthwith'' on July 21. But a Justice Department spokesman, Dean Boyd, said government lawyers were still deciding Tuesday night whether to appeal to a higher court.

SIGN UP

"Why they continue to defend holding him is unfathomable," said David Remes, Latif's free-of-charge attorney. "Adnan's case reflects the Obama administration's complete failure to bring the Guantanamo litigation under control."

Latif, held at Guantanamo since Jan. 18, 2002, has said for years that he had suffered a head injury in his teens and was in Pakistan and Afghanistan seeking Islamic charity medical care before his capture.

The U.S. Justice Department countered that Latif was seen at an al Qaida guest house and trained with the terror movement.

But in the portion of the judge's ruling made public Kennedy noted that the Pentagon's own military intelligence analysis found no eyewitness to back up the claim, only war-on-terror captives who had seen him in U.S. prison camps.

Kennedy quoted from a 2004 Defense Department report that recommended he be sent home and said Latif "is not known to have participated in combatant/terrorist training."

The government had "not proven by a preponderance of the evidence that Latif was in Afghanistan to train and fight with'' either the Taliban or Al Qaida, Kennedy wrote.

Latif's lawyer said the Yemeni has spent long periods of his captivity in the Guantanamo psychiatric ward after repeated suicide attempts and reacted with despair to the judge's ruling.

"He sees death as his only way out," Remes said.

Latif has covered himself in excrement, thrown blood at the lawyer, swallowed shards of metal and tried to eat glass in dozens of self-harm episodes, Remes said.

Latif was brought to meet his lawyer last week in a padded green garment held together by Velcro called a "suicide smock," according to Remes, who said he had been stripped of his underwear. Prison camp guards have put the smocks on display for reporters during camp tours and said in the past they also had acquired suicide-proof underwear.

Pentagon records show Latif was measured at 5-feet-4-inches and weighed 114 pounds on his arrival at the prison camps on Jan. 18, 2002. Remes said by last week he had been weighed at 93.

More than half of the 176 captives currently at Guantanamo are Yemeni citizens, a portion of whom an Obama Task Force has approved for transfer home.

But the White House has frozen most Yemeni transfers following the aborted Christmas Day bombing attempt on a Detroit-bound airliner by a Nigerian man who said he was trained in Yemen.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Follow Carol Rosenberg's reports on Guantanamo on Twitter

August 10, 2010 01:05 PM

HOMEPAGE

See the images of Guantanamo detainees at The Miami Herald

January 11, 2010 07:07 AM

HOMEPAGE

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Litigation ruling at FindLaw.com

May 20, 2009 02:39 PM

HOMEPAGE

Special report: 'Guantanamo: Beyond the Law'

March 03, 2009 01:20 PM

HOMEPAGE

More Guantanamo coverage from the Miami Herald

May 01, 2009 08:16 PM

world

Guantanamo jury gives al Qaida cook 14-year sentence

August 12, 2010 06:57 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story