McClatchy DC Logo

Body of second missing sailor found in Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Body of second missing sailor found in Afghanistan

Nancy A. Youssef and Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 29, 2010 06:48 PM

WASHINGTON — The body of the second of two U.S. sailors who went missing after driving into an ambush has been found outside of Kabul, Pentagon officials said Thursday, but the circumstances that led the men to drive alone into one of Afghanistan's most dangerous regions remained unclear.

Pentagon officials said that the remains of Petty Officer 3rd Class Jarod Newlove, 25, of Renton, Wash., were recovered on Wednesday. Earlier this week, the military said it had recovered the remains of Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin McNeley, 30, of Encinitas, Calif.

The sailors left their Kabul base Friday in an armored SUV. The vehicle was discovered abandoned that night in the Charkh District of Logar Province, a Taliban stronghold about 60 miles from Kabul. The Taliban said they ambushed the sailors, killed McNeley and had captured Newlove.

The sailors were stationed to teach Afghan troops about counterinsurgency.

SIGN UP

Gen. Mustafa Mohseni, police chief for Logar, said that villagers in Baraki Barak, the district next to where the sailors were ambushed, told authorities where to find Newlove's body in the village of Yousef Khil, about six miles southwest of the provincial capital of Puli Alam.

It is unclear how or when Newlove was killed. Mohseni said it appeared that Newlove had been shot, but it remains unclear whether he died during the ambush or survived and was held afterward, as the Taliban claimed.

Mohseni said it was possible that Newlove was killed because the search for the sailor closed off Taliban escape routes.

"The security forces had blocked all the ways to take him out," Mohseni said. "They were searching very intensively, so the Taliban might have killed him because they did not have any other options."

Officials in Washington and Kabul said they still don't know why Newlove and McNeley left their base. Military personnel rarely move in less than a convoy in most parts of Afghanistan, and Taliban-laden Logar province is considered one of the nation's most dangerous areas.

Adm. Michael Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called the sailors' decision to leave base an "unusual circumstance."

At least 60 U.S. troops have been killed in Afghanistan so far this month, tying it with June as the deadliest months for Americans of the nine-year war.

There are about 6,500 Navy personnel serving in Afghanistan. While Afghanistan is a landlocked country, the military has increasingly called on Navy and Air Force personnel to support the ground effort, and it appears that Newlove received some additional training. Newlove's military records show that he's been an active-duty seaman for five years, and they list him as a "culinary specialist."

(McClatchy special corresponent Shukoor reported from Kabul.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Poor security, lack of government challenge Kandahar operation

Officials: WikiLeaks release could hurt Afghan war effort

New checkpoints are key to upcoming Afghan military operation

Afghan president agrees to U.S. withdrawal plan

Pakistan extends powerful army chief's term for 3 years

Clinton unveils $500 million in aid projects for Pakistan

McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul blog

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Businesses linked to McCaskill’s husband get $131 million in federal dollars

July 24, 2018 05:00 AM

Yes, Obama separated families at the border, too

June 21, 2018 05:00 AM

Joel Pett’s 2018 editorial cartoons

December 30, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story