McClatchy DC Logo

Search continues for missing sailor in Afghanistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Search continues for missing sailor in Afghanistan

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 27, 2010 07:28 PM

WASHINGTON — The body of a sailor who was killed in a Taliban ambush arrived home in the United States Tuesday as the military continued a massive search for his comrade, whom the Taliban claimed it kidnapped last week in eastern Afghanistan.

Officials Tuesday said that Petty Officer 3rd Class Jarod Newlove, 25, of Renton, Wash., is the missing sailor. His duty status is listed as whereabouts unknown. U.S. and Afghan forces are conducting a massive search throughout Afghanistan for Newlove, on the ground and by air.

The military is monitoring Afghanistan's eastern border in an effort to keep Taliban fighters from moving Newlove to neighboring Pakistan, defense officials told McClatchy, and in leaflets dropped throughout the area, the military says it's offering a $20,000 reward for information about the missing sailor.

The sailors were in Afghanistan as auxiliary support staffers and were helping train Afghan soldiers in counterinsurgency.

SIGN UP

Newlove's military records show that he's been an active duty seaman for five years, and they list him as a "culinary specialist." While Afghanistan is a landlocked country, the military has increasingly called on Navy and Air Force personnel to support the ground effort, and it appears that Newlove received some additional training.

There are about 6,500 Navy personnel serving in Afghanistan.

During a search patrol Sunday in the area where officials found the two sailors' bullet-ridden SUV, troops found the body of Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin McNeley, 30, of Wheatridge, Colo., who was assigned to Assault Craft Unit One (ACU-1), San Diego. His remains arrived Tuesday morning at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

"The deepest sympathy of the entire Navy is with the family and friends of Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin McNeley, who died from wounds sustained in Logar Province, Afghanistan, Friday," said Adm. Gary Roughead, the Chief of Naval Operations, in a statement Tuesday. "We appreciate all the coalition forces have done to bring our shipmate home, and we know they continue to do everything they can in the search for Petty Officer 3rd Class Jarod Newlove, who remains missing."

Officials in Washington and Kabul said they still don't know why Newlove and McNeley left their base in Kabul Friday in an armored SUV and headed toward one of Afghanistan's most volatile regions.

That evening, they were caught in an ambush in restive Logar province, 60 miles from the Afghan capital.

In an interview with the Associated Press on Sunday, Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said that one sailor had been killed and the second had been captured during a firefight as the men drove through the village of Dasht in Charkh District.

Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, called the movements of the sailors an "unusual circumstance," but he didn't elaborate.

Newlove is the second U.S. service member whose whereabouts in Afghanistan are unknown. Spc. Bowe Bergdahl of Hailey, Idaho, disappeared on June 30, 2009, in eastern Afghanistan's Paktika province. He was last seen in a Taliban video in December.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Poor security, lack of government challenge Kandahar operation

Officials: WikiLeaks release could hurt Afghan war effort

New checkpoints are key to upcoming Afghan military operation

Afghan president agrees to U.S. withdrawal plan

Pakistan extends powerful army chief's term for 3 years

Clinton unveils $500 million in aid projects for Pakistan

McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul blog

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story