McClatchy DC Logo

Court clears Guantanamo captives for return to Algeria | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Court clears Guantanamo captives for return to Algeria

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 17, 2010 05:57 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court late Friday cleared the way for the repatriations from Guantanamo of two Algerian men who argued they'd be in danger if they were sent home.

Farhi Saeed bin Mohammed, 49, ordered freed by a federal judge in November, and Abdul Aziz Naji, 35, could be sent home at any time after the high court refused to block their transfers.

Both have been held at Guantánamo since 2002 and neither were ever charged with a crime. Each had argued that, because of the stigma of having done time at Guantánamo, even cleared, they could face repression if not death in their homeland.

In Naji's case, his Boston lawyer, Ellen Lubell, said by email Saturday that ``he fears extremists will try to recruit him -- associating him with Guantánamo -- and will torture or kill him if he resists.''

SIGN UP

``He has nothing against the Algerian government,'' Lubell added, ``but he fears that the government will be unable to protect him from Algerian extremists.''

They are among six Algerians at the U.S. Navy base in southeast Cuba seeking resettlement elsewhere for fear of torture or death at home. Algeria has an active extremist movement that identifies with al Qaeda.

Saturday, the detention center census was 180 captives.

Naji, 35, is one of Guantánamo's dwindling prosthetic population. He lost a leg to a land mine accident in Pakistan's Kashmir region. Pakistani security forces picked him up in Peshawar in May 2002 and turned him over to U.S. forces, who sent him to Guantánamo.

An Obama era task force approved his release from the prison camps as part of a sweeping review it undertook last year to try to close the detention center. But his lawyers asked the U.S. government to find him safe haven elsewhere.

In Mohammed's case, Judge Gladys Kessler ruled Nov. 20 that the U.S. military was unlawfully holding him. But his lawyers said he feared going home.

Mohammed's lawyer, Jerry Cohen of Boston, said his client fled his native Algeria years ago and kicked around Europe as an itinerant laborer in the 1990s before his capture in Pakistan.

For her part, the judge wrote in an 80-page ruling that Justice Department lawyers didn't prove the captive had joined either al Qaeda or the Taliban while in South Asia. Mohammed, she said, ``may well have started down the path toward becoming a member or substantial supporter of al Qaeda and/or the Taliban, but on this record he had not yet achieved that status.''

In a bid to block his repatriation, lawyers for Mohammed had unsuccessfully sought to question under oath Obama's closure czar, U.S. ambassador at large Dan Fried, on whether there were attempts to resettle the Algerian elsewhere.

The State Department is responsible for deciding which detainees can safely go home and government attorneys said the United States had Algerian assurances that Mohammed would not be abused.

At the Supreme Court, the vote was 5-3 in the Mohammed case, with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dissenting, joined by Justices Stephen G. Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor. By the time the court cleared the way for Naji's repatriation several hours later, there was no dissent.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Military appeals court upholds case against Guantanamo attorney

July 16, 2010 04:27 PM

national

Yemeni captive sent home from Guantanamo

July 13, 2010 05:44 PM

world

Guantanamo detainee Khadr rejects U.S. plea deal

July 13, 2010 07:15 AM

world

Pentagon allows banned reporter to return to Guantanamo

July 08, 2010 09:10 PM

world

Guantanamo detainee pleads guilty at military commission

July 07, 2010 12:48 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

‘Like losing your legs’: Duckworth pushed airlines to detail wheelchairs they break

December 21, 2018 12:00 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story