McClatchy DC Logo

Israel thwarts Libyan attempt to break Gaza blockade | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Israel thwarts Libyan attempt to break Gaza blockade

Sheera Frenkel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 14, 2010 06:48 PM

JERUSALEM — Israel on Wednesday thwarted the latest attempt to breach its sea blockade on Gaza, diverting a Libyan-chartered vessel to the northern Egyptian port of al Arish.

After a 10-hour standoff with the Israeli navy, the Amalthea announced that it would dock in al Arish. As it arrived, Egypt announced that it would transfer 2,000 tons in aid to Gaza.

Israel had vowed that it would stop the Moldovan-flagged vessel from reaching Gaza by any means possible, and it defended its right to maintain a blockade on the Gaza Strip.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said the U.S. had urged the Libyan government "to avoid any unnecessary confrontation" and that Washington had emphasized that all parties involved should behave "responsibly" to meet the needs of Palestinians in Gaza.

SIGN UP

The 302-foot Amalthea had left Greece on Saturday carrying a crew of 12, the Libyan charity that hired the vessel reported on its website. There were also nine passengers: six Libyans, a Nigerian, a Moroccan and an Algerian.

On Tuesday night, the ship stalled about 100 miles from the Gaza coast, where the captain announced that the vessel was experiencing technical difficulties.

There's been wide speculation that Israel somehow sabotaged the engines of other ships to thwart them from reaching Gaza. Israeli news media reported that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Cabinet had supported using engine sabotage to stop the ships, but they didn't specify the methods that may have been used.

Israeli military spokesman Barak Raz confirmed that Israel had contacted the ship Tuesday night and had engaged in negotiations to find an alternative port. Israel also had offered to let the ship dock in the Israeli port of Ashkelon, where previous attempted flotillas had been towed.

Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh had urged the Amalthea to challenge the Israelis by setting course toward Gaza, and he called for more "pro-Palestinian freedom flotillas."

"The sea and land convoys must continue," he said. "We hope we can depend on Islamic nations to help us lift the blockade."

The latest attempt to break Israel's blockade on Gaza came only days after the Israeli military released its report on the six ships that sailed toward Gaza on May 31. The Israeli navy intercepted that flotilla, killing nine people and wounding dozens on the Turkish-flagged Mavi Marmara. In Monday's report, Israel cleared itself of any negligence or wrongdoing.

Egyptian authorities said they'd facilitate the transfer of nearly 2,000 tons in food and medical aid on board the Amalthea. The goods will be conveyed by land through the Rafah crossing, which connects Gaza with Egypt.

"As soon as the ship arrives in al Arish, Egyptian authorities will unload its cargo and hand the aid to the Egyptian Red Crescent, which will deliver it to the Palestinian side," Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit had said earlier.

An international outcry after the May 31 flotilla raid focused on why Israel continued to enforce a stringent blockade on Gaza more than three years after Hamas seized control of the coastal strip. Israel has since loosened its restriction, allowing in a greater variety of goods in greater quantity.

News of the Libyan aid ship made the front pages of most Arabic-language newspapers in the region and updates appeared throughout the day Wednesday on Middle Eastern satellite TV channels. On social networking sites, however, the mission didn't generate nearly the buzz as the ill-fated Turkish attempt to thwart the blockade did.

On Facebook and Twitter, which Arab and Muslim activists frequently use to avoid government censorship of other forms of communication, there were mostly generic news updates throughout the day.

(Frenkel is a McClatchy special correspondent. Special correspondent Miret el Naggar contributed to this article from Cairo.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Israeli military prepares to block Gaza-bound aid ship

Israeli military: 'Mistakes were made' in deadly flotilla raid

Israeli flotilla inquiry inadequate, Turkey and others say

Israel plans 'impartial' inquiry of its deadly attack on aid flotilla

Israeli document: Gaza blockade isn't about security

Amid Gaza health crisis, patients flock into Egypt

Israel, denouncing flotilla as 'terrorist,' braces for next ship

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Your DNA kit begins a ‘journey of discovery’ – but are results in safe hands?

December 04, 2017 05:00 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story