McClatchy DC Logo

Pentagon allows banned reporter to return to Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Pentagon allows banned reporter to return to Guantanamo

Lesley Clark - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 08, 2010 09:10 PM

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon on Thursday reversed its ban on a Miami Herald reporter from covering military commissions at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and said the reporter can return to the naval base there to cover a hearing next week.

In an e-mail sent Thursday, Bryan G. Whitman, the principal deputy assistant secretary of defense for public affairs, said that Carol Rosenberg "will be permitted'' to attend a hearing scheduled for Monday.

The decision comes a week after a coalition of major news organizations, including McClatchy, protested as unconstitutional the rules that were used in May to ban Rosenberg and three Canadian reporters from the commissions.

On Wednesday, officers of the Pentagon Press Association, whose members cover the Defense Department, met with Whitman, Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs Doug Wilson and the head of the Pentagon press office, Col. David Lapan, to complain about the ground rules and other restrictions placed on reporters covering Guantanamo. Wilson told the group he was willing to consider changes in the rules.

SIGN UP

In a response to a request for comment, Whitman said Rosenberg had agreed to abide by Pentagon ground rules and therefore was allowed to return. He did not mention that officials had agreed to rethink those ground rules. Rosenberg maintains that she never violated the ground rules.

In June, Whitman had upheld the ban, saying that "officials of the Department were correct to take the actions'' but said that the department would consider lifting the ban if the reporters applied individually. He later agreed to lift the ban on Rosenberg on Aug. 5, but the news organizations in their complaint last week noted that the hearing the reporters were covering resumes on Monday.

It was unclear if the other reporters would be returning to Guantanamo next week as well.

The case stems from a hearing for Omar Khadr, a Canadian accused of throwing a grenade that killed Army Sgt. First Class Christopher Speer. Khadr has been held at the offshore detention camp since he was seized in Afghanistan in 2002, when he was 15. He claims that he was abused during an interrogation and is seeking to exclude the evidence gleaned from the questioning.

Before a May hearing, Rosenberg and the three Canadian journalists published the name of a witness that the government had said should be identified as "Interrogator No. 1.'' The name of the witness, former Army Sgt. Joshua Claus, had been known for years after he voluntarily gave a newspaper interview to one of the banned Canadian reporters denying that he'd abused Khadr.

Claus also had been convicted by a U.S. court martial of abusing detainees in Afghanistan and sentenced to five months in prison.

David Schulz, an attorney for the news organizations, noted in their complaint to the Pentagon that Khadr's Wikipedia biography identifies Claus as Khadr's main interrogator.

"We don't dispute their authority to restrict information to protect national security and witnesses, but they can't exercise that authority to prohibit reporters who happen to be in Guantanamo from reporting information that is known to the rest of the world,'' Schulz said last week.

The hearing the reporters were covering was on a motion Khadr filed requesting that any self-incriminating statements he made during his interrogations be ruled inadmissible because he'd been abused by his interrogators. What will happen next week is unclear; however, Canadian newspapers reported this week that Khadr has fired his attorneys.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Media companies' letter protesting Guantanamo ground rules

Secrecy still veils Guantanamo hearings

Pentagon bans McClatchy reporter from Guantanamo hearings

Medic testifies he found Khadr chained to door

As Guantanamo trials near, Pentagon limits what can be reported

Follow Guantanamo developments on Twitter.

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

’I’m not a softy by any means,’ Clyburn says as he prepares to help lead Democrats

December 28, 2018 09:29 AM

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story