McClatchy DC Logo

Government loses appeal in Guantanamo habeas case | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Government loses appeal in Guantanamo habeas case

Michael Doyle - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

July 02, 2010 07:22 PM

WASHINGTON — An appeals court put government prosecutors on notice that they must show evidence that an Algerian detainee held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for more than eight years is actually "part of" al Qaida, or set him free.

The decision reverses what had been a rare victory for the government since the Supreme Court ruled that Guantanamo detainees had the right to contest their incarceration in U.S. courts. Of the 50 cases that have been decided by district courts, the government has prevailed in only 14.

The appeals court overturned a lower court's decision upholding the detention of Belkacem Bensayah, who was seized in Bosnia along with five other Algerians and shipped to Guantanamo in January 2002, and said the lower court must rehear the case.

"The evidence upon which the district court relied in concluding Bensayah 'supported' al Qaeda is insufficient . . . to show he was part of that organization," Judge Douglas Ginsburg wrote for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

SIGN UP

U.S. District Judge Richard Leon ruled in November 2008 that the Pentagon could hold Bensayah in one of the first cases decided after the Supreme Court ruling.

In the same opinion, Leon ordered that the five other Algerians seized along with Bensayah be freed, including Lakhdar Boumediene, the named plaintiff in the Supreme Court habeas decision.

In the 17-page ruling issued Thursday, Ginsburg agreed that the Pentagon can hold people for being "part of al Qaida," a looser standard than requiring that the government prove that an individual provided active support to al Qaida. However, the court found that the government hadn't met even that burden.

The court said that Leon's ruling had been undermined by developments since it was issued, including the Obama administration's decision to drop a claim that one of the witnesses against Bensayah was a "senior al Qaida operative and facilitator."

The name of the witness was redacted from the appeals court's decision.

Without that testimony, "the government had presented no direct evidence of actual communication between Bensayah and any al Qaida member," Ginsburg wrote, adding that mere "questions" about Bensayah's credibility "in no way demonstrate that Bensayah had ties to and facilitated travel for al Qaida in 2001."

Leon's conclusion that Bensayah might have been an al Qaida travel facilitator because he had false travel documents also was incorrect, Ginsburg found.

"We agree" with Bensayah's argument that "mere possession and use of false travel documents is neither proof of involvement with terrorism nor evidence of facilitation of travel by others," Ginsburg wrote.

Leon's judgment in Bensayah's case was also flawed because he'd already found that there was no evidence that the people seized with Bensayah had planned to travel to Afghanistan to fight U.S. forces there.

"Therefore," Ginsburg wrote, "Bensayah could not have been facilitating their travel for that purpose."

Bensayah's appellate attorney could not be reached Friday.

Ginsburg, who was appointed by President Ronald Reagan and once was a nominee for the Supreme Court, is generally a reliably conservative member of the D.C. circuit court, which is often called the nation's second-highest court, overseeing many cases involving government actions.

The appellate court's jurisdiction includes D.C.-based trial judges, including Leon, who's upheld the detention of Guantanamo detainees more often than any other D.C. district judge. These judges will now have to take into account the appellate court's reasoning in Bensayah's case.

Bensayah, 47, was first jailed in October 2001 by Bosnian authorities on charges of planning to bomb the U.S. Embassy. An investigation, however, failed to turn up enough evidence and a Bosnian court ordered his release. Instead, however, he was turned over to U.S. authorities, who sent him to Guantanamo.

American officials initially claimed he was the "primary al Qaeda facilitator and financier in Bosnia and Herzegovina" and that he "attempted to travel to Afghanistan to engage U.S. forces," but later dropped those allegations. No formal charges have been brought against him.

Bensayah, who's married with two children, said he "sought better economic opportunities in Bosnia" and that he worked at a charitable organization and as a small-time trader of goods purchased on trips to Turkey.

ON THE WEB

Read the appeals court ruling.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Algerians, freed from Guantanamo, still paying the price

Judge orders release of 5 Guantanamo detainees

Even in cases the U.S. wins, Guantanamo evidence is suspect

Follow legal news at McClatchy's Suits & Sentences.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Pentagon ban on Guantanamo reporters is illegal, news group says

July 02, 2010 05:56 PM

latest-news

Guantanamo habeas ruling by D.C. Court of Appeals

July 02, 2010 01:55 PM

national

New prison commander takes over Guantanamo

June 28, 2010 06:04 PM

world

Guantanamo plea deal could send bin Laden's cook home

June 21, 2010 03:56 PM

crime

Federal judge removes himself from Guantanamo case

June 17, 2010 07:59 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story