McClatchy DC Logo

5 Americans convicted of terror charges in Pakistan | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

5 Americans convicted of terror charges in Pakistan

Saeed Shah - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 24, 2010 05:15 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — A Pakistani court convicted five young American Muslim men of terrorism charges Thursday and sentenced each to 10 years in jail, but the defendants said they'd been tortured and framed by local police.

The court found the men, all from the Washington area, guilty of plotting attacks in Pakistan and providing money to a terrorist organization, lawyers said.

The case spotlighted the radicalization of American Muslims and Pakistan's drawing power to would-be jihadists from around the world. The convictions amounted to an official warning to jihadi tourists to stay away.

The five men, none of whom had a criminal record, were accused of contacting an extremist linked to al Qaida over the Internet, who lured them to Pakistan.

SIGN UP

Concerns about radicalized Muslim Americans hit the headlines after the unrelated attempt to blow up a car in New York's Times Square on May 1 by Faisal Shahzad, a Pakistani American who pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges earlier this week.

The men will file an appeal as early as Monday, according to Khalid Farooq, the father of one of them, who said the verdict left them in a state of shock.

Before the verdict, "They were doing good, but today they were really disturbed, really disappointed," Farooq told McClatchy from Sargodha, the town in Pakistan's heartland Punjab province where the five were tried. "The verdict has really shaken my faith in the justice system here but I hope the high court will do the right thing."

The trial, conducted by an anti-terrorism court in a Sargodha jail, was closed to the news media and even to the men's families. The appeal will go before the high court in the city of Lahore, the most senior court in the province.

The five — Umar Farooq, 24, Waqar Khan, 22, Ramy Zamzam, 22, Ahmed Minni, 20, and Aman Hassan Yemer, 18 — were a close-net group of friends from the Washington suburbs. They were arrested in December in Sargodha, where Umar Farooq — Khalid Farooq's son — had family roots.

According to Sargodha police, the five were extremists who planned terrorist attacks in Pakistan and sought to travel to Afghanistan to fight U.S.-led international forces there. They'd disappeared from their homes in Washington, where one of them left what seemed to be a farewell video in which he railed against U.S. treatment of Muslims abroad.

The men claim that Pakistani police fabricated evidence against them and they wanted to go to Afghanistan only for charity work. Their lawyers shared their defense with McClatchy earlier this year. They said they'd told the court that police had fabricated e-mails purportedly between the men and an al Qaida operative and had planted maps on them, apparently of target sites. The lawyers said they had evidence that the e-mails were written after the men were arrested.

"How could the judge convict them?" said Hassan Dastagir Katchela, the men's lawyer. "I've just looked through the 52-page judgment and it is totally silent on the defense arguments. It simply reproduces verbatim the evidence of the prosecution witnesses."

Katchela said the men were so sure they were going to be acquitted that they'd begun speaking to him only about what they'd do after they were set free.

When the case moves from the anti-terrorism court to the Lahore High Court, a regular court, the standard of evidence will be much higher, meaning they stand a chance of reduced sentences or even of being released. Some critics of Pakistan's regular courts charge that they have a history of releasing terrorism suspects.

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Lawyers question Pakistan's evidence against 5 Americans

Five Americans arrested in Pakistan charged, allege abuse

Worried father turned in 5 Americans to Pakistani police

Pakistan: Americans allegedly sought to fight in Afghanistan

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

‘They don’t get it.’ Reps. Cleaver, Clay blame McCaskill loss on poor black outreach

November 17, 2018 05:00 AM

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story