McClatchy DC Logo

Afghan president Karzai ousts 2 top pro-Western ministers | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Afghan president Karzai ousts 2 top pro-Western ministers

By Dion Nissenbaum and Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

June 06, 2010 05:50 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghanistan's top intelligence chief and interior minister abruptly resigned on Sunday after President Hamid Karzai criticized the pair for failing to stop last week's attack on a nationwide peace conference as the president was addressing the gathering.

Amrullah Saleh, the director of Afghanistan's powerful intelligence agency, and Hanif Atmar, the head of the interior ministry — which oversees the nation's beleaguered police force — stepped down after a tense meeting with Karzai.

"The president of Afghanistan has lost trust in our capabilities," said Saleh, the head of the National Directorate of Security, on Sunday, after conferring with Karzai at the presidential palace.

The cabinet shake-up comes as U.S.-led military forces are gearing up for a summer offensive against Taliban fighters in southern Afghanistan.

SIGN UP

Saleh and Atmar were both regarded by many Western officials as strong allies in the push to transform the Afghan government into a respected political force that won't have to rely on international forces of more than 100,000 troops to prevent the Taliban from again seizing power.

Their removal could weaken security ties between Karzai's cabinet and the international community, said Thomas Ruttig, a co-director of the Afghanistan Analysts Network, an independent international research organization.

"The sacking of Saleh is a blow for the U.S., which had put a lot of resources into the (Afghan intelligence agency) and apparently had good intelligence cooperation with (it)," Ruttig said.

Saleh, a key Northern Alliance leader and ethnic Tajik from the country's Panjshir Valley, spent more than six years as the intelligence chief and worked closely with his Western counterparts.

Atmar, an ethnic Pashtun who's served in Karzai's governments since 2002, was tapped nearly two years ago to take over the Interior Ministry as part of a cabinet shuffle.

As interior minister, Atmar was responsible for overseeing transformation of the widely criticized police force considered essential to President Barack Obama's plant to begin withdrawing U.S. forces from Afghanistan in 13 months.

U.S. Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the head of coalition military forces in Afghanistan, said he respected Karzai's ability to take the "difficult political decision" to replace the two men.

"I remain confident in President Karzai's leadership and his ability to appoint credible replacements to lead these critical organizations," McChrystal said in a statement.

Karzai, who is also an ethnic Pashtun, sometimes has had a frosty relationship with the two ministers, and things apparently came to a head on Sunday.

For more than two hours, Karzai asked the ministers to explain how at least two militants had managed to evade smothering security measures designed to protect 1,600 Afghan leaders who took part in the three-day assembly in Kabul.

While the pair tried to defend their actions, Karzai was dissatisfied with their response, prompting Atmar and Saleh to submit their resignations, said presidential spokesman Waheed Omar. Karzai accepted and immediately named their deputies as temporary replacements.

"We had a tough conversation," said Saleh, who suggested that the attack was just one reason among many for his resignation.Martine van Bijlert, the other co-director of the Afghanistan Analysts Network, said that Karzai may have used the attack as an excuse to get rid of two men he considered unreliable.

However, Omar said that Karzai couldn't accept their inability to prevent Wednesday's assault.

The Interior Ministry said Sunday that the attackers were part of the Haqqani network of Taliban allies that's staged a series of dramatic attacks on the Afghan capital in recent years.

Two of the attackers evaded detection by pretending to be a couple out for a walk, with one of the men wearing a burqa to conceal his identity, said Interior Ministry spokesman Zemiri Bashary.

The pair were able to walk more than a mile through heavy security and get close enough to target the massive tent while Karzai was delivering a nationally televised appeal for the Taliban to put down their weapons.

The rockets missed their targets, but the assailants managed to keep fighting Afghan forces for more than 45 minutes. Afghan forces killed two men and took a third in for questioning.

The Taliban took credit for the attack, which cast a pall over the event. The assembly ended Friday by endorsing Karzai's attempts to spark peace talks with Afghan insurgents.

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Taliban attack Afghan peace conference as Karzai speaks

McChrystal calls Marjah a 'bleeding ulcer' in Afghan campaign

Pentagon rethinking value of major counter-insurgencies

U.S. embrace of Karzai's brother disappoints many Afghans

Murders rattle Kandahar, thwart drive to restore government

Follow Afghanistan developments at McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story