McClatchy DC Logo

Judge orders Yemeni detainee released in latest Guantanamo habeas decision | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Judge orders Yemeni detainee released in latest Guantanamo habeas decision

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 26, 2010 05:25 PM

A federal judge Wednesday ordered the Obama administration to free a Yemeni man at Guantaamo who has long claimed he was captured in Pakistan studying the Quran and had no ties to al Qaida.

U.S. District Judge Henry H. Kennedy Jr.'s ruling of unlawful detention in the case of Mohammed Hassen, 27, raised the number of detainee wins in Guantánamo detention challenges to 36.

The win-loss scorecard was 14-36 on Wednesday. Civilian judges have upheld the military detentions of 14 other foreign men among the 181 war on terror captives at the U.S. Navy base in southeast Cuba.

Hassen argued at a 2004 status hearing at Guantanamo that the first time he heard of al Qaida was "in this prison.'' He claimed that he had been unjustly rounded up in a March 2002 dragnet by Pakistani security forces in the city of Faisalabad that targeted Arabs, including himself a student of Islam.

SIGN UP

He's the third person captured in the same raid who has been ordered released since the U.S. Supreme Court authorized federal courts to undertake a case by case review of Guantánamo detentions through petitions of habeas corpus.

On May 11, 2009, Judge Gladys Kessler ordered the release of fellow Yemeni Alla Ali Ahmed in a ruling that found the government's mosaic theory of association with terrorism did not meet the burden. He was repatriated four months later.

Then two weeks ago, Kennedy ruled for the release of Russian Ravil Mingazov, 42, a former Russian army dancer.

Kennedy's rulings in both the Mingazov and Hassen case were still classified on Wednesday.

U.S. Justice Department lawyers were studying both decisions and had yet to decide whether to appeal either, said Dean Boyd, spokesman for the department's national security division.

In the Hassan case, the judge gave the government until June 25 to report back. It ordered the Obama administration to ``take all necessary and appropriate diplomatic steps'' to arrange for the Yemeni's release ``forthwith.''

But in February 2007 a Bush administration era review concluded that Hassen was among the Guantánamo detainees who could be repatriated through a negotiated transfer. It was not known whether an Obama-era Task Force that studied the files of Guantánamo captives concluded the same thing because it has kept most of its findings secret.

Still, neither the Bush nor Obama administration have reached agreement with Yemen on a large-scale return of their citizens cleared for release from Guantánamo.

Defense attorney David Remes said Hassen was studying at a ``respected university in Faisalabad'' and had the misfortune of going to a friend's house for dinner and an overnight stay -- only to be ``seized along with other Arabs there during an early morning raid by Pakistani police.''

Eight years have passed, said Remes.

"President Obama should return Mohammed to Yemen without delay,'' he added. "His incarceration is a tragedy.''

Another of Hassen's defense attorney's, Marc Falkoff, wrote Pentagon officials in 2005 that the young man ``harbors no ill will toward the United States or its citizens'' and sought to return to his extended family in Taiz and study.

Separately, a federal judge upheld the indefinite detention of a Libyan at Guantánamo in an April 19 decision during a closed-door hearing in Washington not yet noted on the U.S. District Court's public docket.

Judge James Robertson accepted the government's argument in the case of Omar Mohammed Khalifh, 38, who as far back as 2004 sent a message to a military panel reviewing his status. ``I would rather be in the worst American jail than be a minister in my country,'' he wrote. ``I want to stay here.''

Volunteer defense attorney Cary Silverman of Washington said Khalifh fled his country in 1995, as an opponent of the Qaddafi regime, and fears for his safety and that of his family were he to be returned.

``From the very get-go,'' Silverman added, the Libyan ``has maintained that he would rather stay at Guantánamo forever rather than be released back to Libya.''

Defense lawyers, however, had sought his release to a safe third country.

Robertson examined the case in a two-day merits hearing April 18-19 and ruled from the bench. His reasons are included in a transcript that was still classified on Wednesday.

The Libyan did not testify and his attorneys had yet to notify him of the court's decision.

Other Guantánamo captives have testified by a closed-circuit video link between the prison camps and the U.S. District Court in Washington under questioning from a defense lawyer who arranged to be at the Navy base at the time of the hearings.

One of his attorneys is Edmund Burke of Honolulu, who may be the farthest flung defense attorney offering pro bono services to a Guantánamo detainee. He said he has traveled between Hawaii and the base to consult his client nine times.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Court: Bagram prisoners don't have Guantanamo habeas rights

May 21, 2010 12:48 PM

world

Change you can believe in? Secrecy still veils Guantanamo hearings

May 17, 2010 12:46 PM

world

Russian dancer ordered freed in Guantanamo habeas case

May 14, 2010 07:48 AM

world

News outlets appeal Pentagon's ban on Guantanamo coverage

May 13, 2010 12:27 AM

world

Guantanamo detainee Khadr's trial date set for August

May 12, 2010 06:59 AM

world

Pentagon bans McClatchy reporter from Guantanamo hearings

May 06, 2010 08:59 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

With no agreement on wall, partial federal shutdown likely to continue until 2019

December 21, 2018 03:02 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story