McClatchy DC Logo

Russian dancer ordered freed in Guantanamo habeas case | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Russian dancer ordered freed in Guantanamo habeas case

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 14, 2010 07:48 AM

A federal court on Thursday ordered the Pentagon to set free from Guantáaamo a former Russian Army ballet dancer turned devout Muslim whose plight captured the imagination of a Massachusetts college town.

Judge Henry Kennedy Jr. ordered the Obama administration to take ``all necessary and appropriate diplomatic steps . . . forthwith'' to release Ravil Mingazov, 42, an ethnic Tartar who was captured in Pakistan in 2002 and turned over to U.S. forces.

Thursday's midday ruling raised to 35 the number of Guantánamo detention cases the U.S. government has lost since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled two years ago that the war-on-terror captives can sue for their freedom in federal courts.

The Justice Department has so far successfully defended the indefinite detention of 13 Guantánamo captives.

SIGN UP

With the Pentagon still holding 181 foreign men at Guantánamo, dozens more habeas corpus petitions are yet to be heard.

Justice Department spokesman Dean Body said Thursday afternoon that government lawyers were ``reviewing the ruling,'' which was still being declassified. Kennedy gave the government until June 15 to report back.

The Guantánamo captive's Washington, D.C. attorney, Douglas K. Spaulding, said his client had yet to hear of the ruling but the lawyer had reached the captive's mother in central Russia, where she was ``very gratified to hear that Judge Kennedy had entered this order.''

Fled homeland

The son was a one-time ballet and folkloric dancer as a civilian in the Russian Army who became devout after the fall of the Soviet Union and fled his homeland in 2000, for religious freedom.

The mother, he said, is a ``former Soviet-era agro-economist now in her 70s who prays to live long enough to see her son.''

The Pentagon claimed that Mingazov was captured in a March 2002 security forces raid on a suspected terrorist safehouse belonging to an al Qaeda rival named Zayn Abdeen al Hussein, known as Abu Zubaydah.

It also said he had earlier undergone training at a terror training camp, which he had denied.

For his part, the Russian told a U.S. military panel in 2006 that he was captured in a guest house for refugees, not Abu Zubaydah's. He added that he didn't know Abu Zubaydah and nor had he seen Osama bin Laden.

Spaulding was seeking talks with the Obama administration to arrange for his client's release to a country other than his homeland because of the stigma of nearly a decade in U.S. detention. Seven other Russians, who were released from Guantánamo in 2004, were tortured, beaten, harassed and sent into hiding, according a Human Rights Watch study.

Policies opposed

Liberal activists in Massachusetts showcased the tale of Mingazov and an Algerian man named Ahmed Belbacha in a campaign last year that condemned the detention policies of the Bush administration.

On Nov. 4, Amherst's 240-member Town Meeting voted to offer asylum to two Guantánamo captives cleared of wrongdoing who cannot go home.

Congress has since blocked any resettlement of cleared Guantánamo captives onto U.S. soil. The Obama administration has turned to Europe mostly to take in released captives.

In western Massachusetts, activist Nancy Talanian of a grass-roots group, ``No More Guantánamos,'' said Pioneer Valley residents were still eager to take in Mingazov for resettlement.

``Guantánamo detainees who cannot safely return home are really no different than other refugees whom western Massachusetts communities have welcomed in the past,'' she said.

If the Obama administration can tell Europe that former detainees ``would not pose any danger,'' she said, ``that should be sufficient assurance that we can be safe with some of them living here.''

Mingazov, he said, speaks some English and some Arabic aside from his Russian. Said Spaulding: ``He's very healthy. He's got a good sense of humor. He's a healthy, I would say, balanced individual. Folks in Amherst are ready to go, but I don't think that's going to happen.''

Follow Carol Rosenberg's Guantanamo reports at Twitter.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Judges siding with detainees in Guantanamo habeas cases

September 07, 2009 09:13 PM

national

Read the rulings in the decided cases

September 07, 2009 09:31 PM

world

News outlets appeal Pentagon's ban on Guantanamo coverage

May 13, 2010 12:27 AM

world

Pentagon bans McClatchy reporter from Guantanamo hearings

May 06, 2010 08:59 PM

world

Interrogator says Khadr was told he'd likely be raped in U.S.

May 06, 2010 01:05 PM

world

Medic at Guantanamo hearing says Khadr chained to door

May 03, 2010 03:17 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

New Muslim congresswoman to be sworn in with Thomas Jefferson’s centuries-old Quran

January 03, 2019 11:25 AM

Duke lacrosse player convicted in D.C. assault case

July 11, 2006 03:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story