McClatchy DC Logo

Murders rattle Kandahar, thwart drive to restore government | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Murders rattle Kandahar, thwart drive to restore government

Dion Nissenbaum and Hashim Shukoor - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 13, 2010 04:55 PM

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — The assassins arrived by motorcycle early in the morning, took aim at the tribal elder and shot him in the head. It was just one in a series of assassinations that have rattled nerves and hampered U.S.-backed efforts to install a functional government and improve the lot of the people in southern Afghanistan's largest city.

The victim, Abdul Rahman, a man in his 80s, all but saw it coming. Rahman had risen before a gathering of his peers early last month and publicly criticized President Hamid Karzai for not doing enough to bring security to southern Afghanistan.

Other Kandahar elders told Karzai that they were putting their lives in danger by working with his U.S.-backed government to seize full control of the Taliban's spiritual birthplace.

Attackers in Kandahar province have killed 21 Afghans in the last six weeks, including half a dozen tribal elders like Rahman, according to a tally kept by Sami Kovanen, a veteran security consultant in Kabul. Insurgents have killed four Kandahar government leaders, including the deputy mayor, who was gunned down while at prayer in a mosque.

SIGN UP

The latest killing occurred Tuesday, when gunmen on a motorcycle killed a top Kandahar prison official as he headed to work.

"There is no government at all," said a police official in Kandahar's rural Arghandab district, where Rahman was gunned down. McClatchy is withholding his name for his protection.

Insurgents have attached makeshift bombs to donkeys and bikes. They're delivering intimidating letters at night and making phone threats to pressure Afghans to quit working with U.S.-backed leaders.

Several Kandahar officials have quietly resigned or told their superiors that they're leaving the country for critical medical treatment.

"When I resigned, most of my friends called to congratulate me," said Latif Ashna, the 52-year-old former head of Kandahar's rural development department, who resigned last month.

"From my point of view, this is the weakness of the government," Ashna said. "They are not able to provide security."

"The civilian side is failing," said Khalid Pashtoon, a prominent Afghan lawmaker from Kandahar who chairs the lower house's internal security committee.

While the Taliban have claimed responsibility for many of the attacks, military strategists see a broader problem that's hobbling efforts to shore up the weak Kandahar government.

NATO officials and private analysts suspect that other players — including competing security firms and tribes with rivalries — are taking advantage of the instability to target their opponents.

"It is a lot less about the Taliban and more about disorder and criminality," said one top NATO official based in Kandahar, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

"To me, that looks like anarchy," said Kovanen, the security consultant, who analyzes Afghan violence as a senior information analyst for Indicium Consulting in Kabul. "There are no rules. If you have the right connections, you can do whatever you want."

Rahman's killing last month amid Arghandab's pomegranate groves was one example of the pervasive violence.

Rahman was an elder from the Ghilzai branch of the Pashtun tribe that produced many of the Taliban leaders and historically has been at odds with Karzai's Popalzai branch of the Durrani Pashtun tribe in southern Afghanistan.

The local police official heard from tribal elders that the Taliban had claimed responsibility for the killing, but Rahman's son and nephew told McClatchy that local Taliban militants privately had denied responsibility.

"A few days ago someone brought me a letter that said, 'Do not be deceived that your father was killed by us,' " said Rahman's son, Abdul Raouf. " 'He was a Muslim. If he was killed, it was the result of tribal feuds.' "

(Shukoor is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. embrace of Karzai's brother disappoints many Afghans

Corruption, incompetence charges plague new Afghan police force

Pentagon rethinking value of major counterinsurgencies

Follow Afghanistan news at McClatchy's Checkpoint Kabul Checkpoint Kabul.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Kandahar

May 11, 2010 07:12 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

No job? No salary? You can still get $20,000 for ‘green’ home improvements. But beware

December 29, 2018 08:00 AM

Lone senator at the Capitol during shutdown: Kansas Sen. Pat Roberts

December 27, 2018 06:06 PM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story