McClatchy DC Logo

U.S., Israel agree to disagree on settlement construction | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

U.S., Israel agree to disagree on settlement construction

Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 23, 2010 07:35 PM

WASHINGTON — Two weeks after Israel's announcement of construction in East Jerusalem threatened the worst confrontation with the U.S. in 20 years, the two sides have agreed to disagree — in effect handing a political and diplomatic victory to right-wing Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Netanyahu, who was showered with expressions of support Tuesday in a visit to Capitol Hill, has successfully refused White House demands — relayed directly by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton — that Israel halt construction in the eastern sector of the holy city, also claimed by the Palestinians.

"We understand that . . . there are different perspectives among the parties. We agree with some, we don't agree with others," said Clinton spokesman P.J. Crowley.

His statement suggested that the Obama administration has failed to move Netanyahu off Israel's long-standing position on Jerusalem.

SIGN UP

It was just 11 days ago that Clinton had denounced Israel's decision to build 1,600 new apartments in East Jerusalem with rare harshness. She told Netanyahu that it was a "deeply negative signal" about relations with the U.S. and undermined U.S. attempts to re-launch Middle East peace talks.

This week's outcome marks the second time the Obama administration has pressed Netanyahu on Jewish settlements outside the country's pre-1967 borders, only to come away with less than it demanded.

Last year, Obama pressed Israel for a full freeze on settlements, including what Israel calls "natural growth." Netanyahu offered a 10-month moratorium, excluding East Jerusalem. U.S. officials say the promise was more than any other U.S. president has extracted from Israel.

Obama and Netanyahu met early Tuesday evening for nearly 90 minutes behind closed doors at the White House, with no joint public appearance planned.

It was an unusual protocol for a visiting Israeli leader, and it's not clear the two men will be able to work together in the coming months.

Whether Obama's tactics in the current crisis prove fruitful, or another false start after 14 months of trying to get Israelis and Palestinians to negotiate, remains to be seen.

U.S. officials suggested the high-stakes effort will have been worthwhile if they can get the two sides to the table in the coming weeks, and to open substantive talks on a peace treaty and an eventual Palestinian state.

Crowley said the U.S. goal is to get Israelis and Palestinians beyond indirect, so-called "proximity talks," already tentatively agreed on, and into direct face-to-face negotiations.

"Our immediate pass/fail test is, can (we) get the . . . parties into direct negotiations," he said.

The White House has attempted to keep under wraps the details of the demands that Clinton, at Obama's behest, made of Netanyahu in a tense March 12 phone call — apparently so there would be no public scorecard of what the White House won, and what it didn't.

A senior U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the subject's sensitivity, acknowledged that the Obama administration "set a high bar" in its negotiations with Israel. "The Israelis have moved, but not far enough."

The next U.S. step, he said, will be to "make a credible presentation to the Palestinians that this is not everything you wanted, (but) it's a lot."

An Israeli official said Netanyahu has offered some steps on East Jerusalem in response to U.S. pressure. Israel won't halt the construction, but it will avoid provocative actions that could upset peace talks, said the official, who wasn't authorized to speak for the record.

The U.S. and Israel "agree to disagree" on East Jerusalem, the official said.

During his visit to Capitol Hill, where both Republicans and Democrats pledged backing for Israel, Netanyahu attempted to turn the tables on the Palestinians.

If Palestinians stick to demands for a full settlement freeze before peace talks begin, another year could be lost before negotiations get underway, he told Israeli reporters.

Nor does Israel appear to have acquiesced to a reported U.S. demand that, once the "proximity" talks get underway, Israelis and Palestinians would immediately begin negotiating the substantive issues that divide them, as opposed to procedural questions.

Netanyahu's position is that the Palestinians can put any issue on the table they want, but issues such as the borders of a Palestinian state, Jerusalem, and the fate of Palestinian refugees can only be solved via direct talks.

The prime minister, who attended MIT and Harvard and knows the U.S. well, demonstrated the depth of Israel's support in Congress on Tuesday.

"In Congress we speak with one voice on the subject of Israel," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said during a joint appearance with Netanyahu.

Shibley Telhami, a University of Maryland professor and the author of several books on the Middle East, said the two-week old crisis has had the effect of putting Obama and his administration more directly involved in Middle East peacemaking.

"There's a level of engagement that's different than before. What we haven't seen yet is what the results will be," Telhami said.

After successive crises, Obama's credibility is more at stake than ever, he added.

"The stakes have been raised even higher," Telhami said. "I don't know if the administration can go on as usual" if there's another confrontation with Israel.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

As tempers cool, U.S. and Israel ready to restart peace talks

What can Obama do to respond to Israel's slap at Biden?

Dubai launches global dragnet to nab assassins of Hamas figure

Check out McClatchy's national security blog: Nukes & Spooks

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

New USS Cole case judge quitting military to join immigration court

January 07, 2019 12:20 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story