McClatchy DC Logo

As tempers cool, U.S. and Israel ready to restart peace talks | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

As tempers cool, U.S. and Israel ready to restart peace talks

Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 18, 2010 08:23 PM

WASHINGTON — Israel and the United States Thursday backed away from a week-old confrontation over Israel's plans to build 1,600 new apartments for Jewish residents in East Jerusalem, which Israel captured from the Arabs in 1967.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a phone call with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, offered to take some steps to help restart peace talks, and Clinton directed U.S. special envoy George Mitchell to travel to the region this weekend after suspending his mediation several days ago.

The easing of tensions came days before Netanyahu is to arrive in Washington to address the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the leading pro-Israel lobby. A pall descended over U.S.-Israeli ties after Netanyahu's interior minister announced the new construction, which the Obama administration opposes, after Vice President Joe Biden began a visit to Israel last week.

U.S. and Israeli officials wouldn't spell out what steps Netanyahu agreed to take, and it wasn't clear whether they'll be sufficient enough to bring Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas back to the negotiating table.

SIGN UP

There was no sign that Netanyahu would cancel the plan to build the apartments in the Ramat Shlomo neighborhood in East Jerusalem, which Israel considers part of its undivided capital.

Israel could delay the start of construction, but in the past it's always pressed forward with such expansions.

With President Barack Obama postponing his Asia trip to focus on health care legislation, he and Netanyahu will be in Washington early next week. White House officials said there was no decision whether the two leaders will meet.

Israeli news reports said that Netanyahu told Clinton that Israel is willing to release Palestinian prisoners, remove checkpoints on the West Bank and perhaps even transfer some lands to Palestinian control to facilitate peace talks.

Clinton and Mitchell will now have to convince Palestinian leaders, whose position was undermined by the March 9 East Jerusalem announcement, that they should begin indirect talks with Israel.

"What we're focused on is getting back to where we were a little over a week ago," when the Israeli-Palestinian "proximity" talks were announced, said a senior U.S. official, who wasn't authorized to speak for the record.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley, in a statement from Moscow, where Clinton was traveling, said that she and Netanyahu "discussed the specific actions that might be taken to improve the atmopshere for progress toward peace."

"We are going to review the Prime Minister's response and continue our discussions with both sides," Crowley said, adding that Mitchell will visit the Middle East this weekend.

Senior U.S. officials initially responded to the building plans in unusually harsh language, with Clinton calling the move "insulting."

Clinton and others toned down their rhetoric starting Monday, and began looking for a way out of the crisis that would at the same time boost talks on an independent Palestinian state.

Obama's credibility as a Middle East mediator is at stake in how the dispute is resolved — and how it's perceived to be resolved in the Middle East and beyond.

Obama already backed away once, last year, when he softened his demands that Israel agree to a comprehensive settlement freeze, including what Israel calls "natural growth" of existing settlements. Instead, he agreed to Netanyahu's offer of a 10-month halt that excluded East Jerusalem.

The Arab world, in particular, will be watching closely to see if Obama has stood his ground this time.

"People in this region can smell weakness 10,000 miles away," said an Arab diplomat, who requested anonymity to speak more frankly.

If Obama backs down, "it adds to the perception that he's a relatively weak leader in foreign policy. . . . That has consequences across the board," said William Quandt, a University of Virginia professor who worked for President Jimmy Carter on the Camp David accords between Israel and Egypt.

Obama's dilemma is made more difficult by the fact that he made tough demands last year but did not enforce his will, said Aaron David Miller, who advised six secretaries of state on the Middle East.

"They can still redeem themselves. But it's not going to be easy. . . . Round One went to Bibi," Miller said, using Netanyahu's nickname. If Obama is seen to falter again, "The 'street cred' will be minus zero," said Miller, who's now with the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

The senior administration official argued that Obama's record ultimately will be judged on whether he can revive Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

If that happens, "all these other questions (about U.S. credibility) will take care of themselves," the official said. People in the Middle East "are more concerned about getting results."

On his Washington trip, Netanyahu is bringing Defense Minister Ehud Barak, a former Israeli prime minister who's seen here as more moderate than the prime minister.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Netanyahu affirms settlement project that U.S. considers 'affront'

What can Obama do to respond to Israel's slap at Biden?

Missile strike kills militant with role in CIA bombing

Check out McClatchy's national security blog: Nukes & Spooks

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

Shoplifters meet their match as retailers deploy facial recognition cameras

May 21, 2018 02:35 PM

Republicans expect the worst in 2019 but see glimmers of hope from doom and gloom.

December 31, 2018 05:00 AM

Trump lost millions at golf courses in Scotland. U.S. voters weren’t told that.

July 13, 2018 05:00 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story