McClatchy DC Logo

Chile earthquake: A survivor's tale | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Chile earthquake: A survivor's tale

Juan Andres Guzman - The Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 02, 2010 07:04 AM

All tragedies have heroes and this story has two. They are cousins, with similar names; one is alive, the other was swallowed by the sea.

Osvaldo Gonzalez, 46, was with his family on a small island on the mouth of the Maule River, just off the seaside resort of Constitucion. Orrego Island was a natural paradise, nicknamed "Cancun" by the people of Constitucion. The Gonzalez family -- about 100 of them, what with the cousins, siblings, wives and children -- had been in that paradise since December.

When an 8.8 earthquake shook Chile in the dead of night Saturday morning, Osvaldo didn't know what to expect, but instinct told him it would not be a good idea to remain on the island. He quickly ushered his relatives aboard his boat with an outboard engine, at least as many as the craft could hold, for the ride to Constitucion.

He made a second trip, then a third. They were short shuttles, 10 minutes long, but in the darkness of night and on a surging river they seemed interminable.

SIGN UP

On the last trip he managed to make, Gonzalez crossed paths with his cousin Osvaldo Gomez, 37, who had taken another boat to help him with the rescue.

"I never imagined what was about to happen," he said, still shaking.

Once on the shore of Constitucion, Gonzalez tried to return to the island but couldn't start the engine. The boat didn't move. Underneath it, he could see mud and stones because the river had suddenly disappeared, as if the sea had sucked it back.

Seconds later, the river returned in the form of a tidal wave more than 30 feet high. The last image Gonzalez had of his cousin was the sight of Gomez's boat on the crest of that wave, an image that snapped as Gonzalez ran through the streets of Constitucion and up a hill in desperation.

To read the complete article, visit www.miamiherald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Chile's earthquake teaches California some lessons

March 02, 2010 06:52 AM

world

Looting and chaos reign in quake-stricken regions of Chile

March 01, 2010 05:03 AM

national

Huge Chile earthquake triggers tsunami warnings in Pacific

February 27, 2010 11:18 AM

world

Why did Chile's more powerful quake take fewer lives?

February 27, 2010 10:53 PM

HOMEPAGE

Coverage of Latin America from The Miami Herald

February 09, 2009 11:38 AM

HOMEPAGE

See photos of Chile after the earthquake at The Miami Herald

March 02, 2010 07:12 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Lindsey Graham finds himself on the margins of shutdown negotiations

January 04, 2019 04:46 PM

HUD delays release of billions of dollars in storm protection for Puerto Rico and Texas

January 04, 2019 03:45 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story