McClatchy DC Logo

Looting and chaos reign in quake-stricken regions of Chile | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Looting and chaos reign in quake-stricken regions of Chile

Juan Andres Guzman, Marcela Ramos and Frances Robles - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

March 01, 2010 05:03 AM

CURICO, Chile -- As the death toll more than doubled and reports of looting reached the capital, President Michelle Bachelet dispatched the military to control unruly disaster zones and sought to help the survivors of this country's devastating earthquake.

"We're facing an emergency that is unprecedented in the history of Chile,'' Bachelet said in a national address.

Bachelet, reiterated the need for temporary hospitals and bridges as well as damage experts. She also announced a plan to distribute what was left of supermarket merchandise for free.

By the government's account, the 8.8-magnitude earthquake that struck Saturday killed 711 people. Authorities expect the death toll to grow even larger.

SIGN UP

In Concepción, 70 miles from the epicenter, television cameras captured desperate residents forcing open iron doors of a supermarket and tossing boxes of produce to waiting crowds. Sobbing women said that they had no milk for their kids -- as men scrambled past hoisting microwave ovens.

Bachelet denounced the looting, saying many people were not hungry but rather taking advantage.

Some areas in Chile have become black holes to the government. With access and communications cut off, the government has yet to determine the exact toll of the damages.

``Every hour that passes we have worse news than before,'' said Interior Minister Edmundo Pérez Yoma. ``It has cost us a lot of effort to get to the coastal areas, we have connection and communication problems.''

Among the mysteries: how many hundreds of people lie under the rubble in Constitución, a coastal city north of the epicenter rattled by the earthquake and then flooded by a tidal wave of up to 33 feet that roared four or five blocks into town.

Constitución is one of the symbols of the catastrophe that befell Chile. The night before the earthquake, hundreds of people were celebrating a local festival on an island off the city's shoreline that can be reached only by boat. The revelers on the island could not escape the wall of water.

By Sunday afternoon, only 64 bodies had been recovered. Police sources say more than 350 people may have died there.

``The situation is chaotic,'' Aarón Salazar, a Constitución resident, told a local radio station.

Paula Riquelme, who was visiting the city, told the radio station that ``the force of the sea was such that the occupants of the dwellings that remained standing found themselves surrounded by floating fish and seaweed. The material losses are total.''

On Sunday, Bachelet declared a state of catastrophe in the two regions worst hit by the quake and ensuing tidal wave. The state of catastrophe empowers the president ``to restrict the circulation of persons and the transportation of goods, as well as the freedoms of labor, information, opinion and assembly.''

The mayor of Concepción, Jacqueline Van Rysselberghe, asked the federal government to do more.

``There are houses at risk, they are empty and they are going to be totally looted,'' she told TV Chile. ``People attacked supermarkets, clothing stores, electronics stores, motorcycle shops. The government promised 200 soldiers. We need more -- many more.''

Minutes after the state of catastrophe was decreed, a 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew was imposed in the Bio-Bio region.

Chilean authorities acknowledged a serious error committed by the Chilean navy, specifically its Hydrographic and Oceanographic Service, which did not alert the population to the likelihood of a tidal wave hitting the coast.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com

Related stories from McClatchy DC

national

Huge Chile earthquake triggers tsunami warnings in Pacific

February 27, 2010 11:18 AM

world

Why did Chile's more powerful quake take fewer lives?

February 27, 2010 10:53 PM

HOMEPAGE

Coverage of Latin America from The Miami Herald

February 09, 2009 11:38 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story