McClatchy DC Logo

Taliban says Kabul bombs meant to drive Americans out | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Taliban says Kabul bombs meant to drive Americans out

Dion Nissenbaum and Nooruddin Bakhshi - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 26, 2010 04:48 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — Taliban militants claimed credit for a series of bombings that hit central Kabul early Friday, saying they were intended to force the U.S. and its allies to withdraw their militaries from Afghanistan.

At least 16 people were killed in the explosions, which targeted two guesthouses primarily used by foreigners. Among the dead were at least six Indians, an Italian diplomat and a French documentary filmmaker.

"Our aim is those foreigners who have troops in the country: We want to put pressure on them to leave," Zabiullah Mujahed, a Taliban spokesman, told McClatchy.

The Indian casualties raised speculation here that Pakistan, India's bitter rival whose intelligence agency has long had ties to the Taliban, might have helped in the attack.

SIGN UP

"This is the third time that Indians have been targeted," said Sultan Mohammed Awrang, an Afghan lawmaker. "Everyone knows where they are based and who sent them: Pakistan."

Mujahed denied that Indians had been special targets.

"Our aim is not just Indian," he said. "It was their bad luck that so many of them were in the guest house."

The assault was the fifth major attack on Kabul in five months and is likely to reignite concerns that the Afghan capital, long viewed as a relative safe haven, is becoming an increasing target for anti-government insurgents.

"With every day that is passing, the police are becoming weaker and weaker, not stronger," said Awrang, the Afghan legislator. "They can't protect the people of Kabul."

Mujahed said five Taliban fighters undertook the suicide attacks, which began shortly after dawn on an overcast day when Kabul's streets were mostly empty.

The initial car bomb blast, about 6:40 a.m. local time, decimated a small guesthouse filled with Indian engineers, doctors and technicians. The explosion left a gaping seven-foot-deep crater in the street.

At least three militants wearing suicide vests stormed the adjacent Park Residence hotel after the car bomb exploded.

Guests inside ran to safe rooms and huddled in their rooms as the attackers fanned out through the hotel.

The Italian diplomat was talking on the phone to police when he was killed, said Interior Ministry spokesman Zemari Bashari.

While two suicide bombers blew themselves up inside the hotel, a third holed up in one of the rooms and fought off Afghan police for more than three hours.

Aziz al Haq, a 29-year-old electrical engineer from India, said he was trapped with seven or eight people in an adjacent room.

"It was a horrible experience," said al Haq, who spent the afternoon searching Kabul hospitals for friends and colleagues.

Later, he emerged from a Kabul hospital with two somber colleagues.

"Did you hear?" one of the men asked. "We found our friend. He is dead."

The violence recalled other recent Kabul attacks: a Jan. 18 onslaught that killed five people in an elaborate attack on prominent government buildings; a mid-December suicide car bombing that killed eight at a hotel used by international aid workers and coalition military forces, and an attack last October that killed eight people at a guest house filled with United Nations staff. That strike prompted the U.N. to scale back its presence in Kabul by sending hundreds of staff to work in Dubai and other parts of Afghanistan.

Suicide bombers have twice targeted the Indian embassy in Kabul during the past two years: once in October, killing 17, and previously on July 8, 2008, when 50 people died.

(Bakhshi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Case against 9/11 detainee good despite waterboarding

A year after Israeli assault, uneasy peace settles over Gaza

At new Bagram prison in Afghanistan, some inmates buoyant

U.S. spending $600 million on Afghan police station

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story