McClatchy DC Logo

Gen. McChrystal apologizes for new Afghan civilian deaths | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Gen. McChrystal apologizes for new Afghan civilian deaths

Dion Nissenbaum and Nooruddin Bakhshi - McClatchy Newspapers

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 22, 2010 06:16 AM

KABUL — American-led efforts to avert civilian deaths in the war against the Taliban suffered a new blow over the weekend when a NATO airstrike in southern Afghanistan killed about two dozen civilians.

U.S. Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the head of coalition forces in Afghanistan, sought to contain outrage Monday for the attack by delivering a personal apology to Afghan President Hamid Karzai. He conceded, however, that the attack Sunday was likely to shake public confidence in his pledge to minimize civilian deaths in Afghanistan.

"We are extremely saddened by the tragic loss of innocent lives," McChrystal's statement said. "I have made it clear to our forces that we are here to protect the Afghan people, and inadvertently killing or injuring civilians undermines their trust and confidence in our mission. We will redouble our efforts to regain that trust."

Sunday's airstrike was the second in a week to kill Afghan civilians. A week earlier, U.S. Marines killed 12 Afghans during the ongoing offensive in the Taliban stronghold of Marjah in southern Afghanistan.

SIGN UP

Sunday's strike hit a three-vehicle convoy of civilians in a remote part of the country. There were conflicting estimates of the death toll. The Afghan Council of Ministers said that 27 civilians — including four women and a child — had been killed, while the local police chief said 21 had died. Two others were missing, he said.

McChrystal has made averting civilian deaths a kind of military mantra since he took charge in Afghanistan last year. He put new constraints on airstrikes that sparked concerns from some soldiers, who complained that the restraint was doing little to woo skeptical Afghans.

The change in tactics has had an impact, however.

A recent United Nations report said the number of civilian deaths caused by the U.S., NATO and Afghan government forces fell 28 percent last year. In all, the U.N. found, coalition forces caused about 600 of the 2,400 civilian deaths in 2009.

McChrystal reiterated his directive on the eve of this month's major offensive in Marjah, but the recent incidents again raised official Afghan anger over civilian deaths.

The Afghan ministers called Sunday's attack "unjustifiable."

"This creates an opportunity for the Taliban to use this against the Afghan government and the Americans," said Mohammed Hashim Watanwal, a lawmaker from southern Uruzgan province, where the strike took place. "NATO has said that it will take care to avoid civilian casualties, but they don't follow through."

The vehicles that were hit Sunday were traveling through a Taliban-controlled area, said Saeed Zahir Zia, a local police chief who visited the site of the attack. Zia said the dead included a 3-year-old boy and 9-year-old-girl.

NATO officials said that coalition forces targeted the vehicles because they thought they were filled with Taliban reinforcements preparing to attack NATO and Afghan forces a few miles away.

Coalition forces realized their mistake when they arrived at the scene and found the bodies of women and children.

The police chief said that most of the civilians were Hazara, an ethnic minority in Afghanistan that traditionally has little sympathy for Taliban insurgents, who are predominantly Pashtun.

The attack came a day after Karzai used a speech before the Afghan parliament to prod McChrystal and NATO to step up their efforts to reduce civilian deaths.

"We need to reach the point where there are no civilian casualties," Karzai said as he held up a photograph of an 8-year-old girl who the president said was the only survivor of the Feb. 14 rocket attack in Marjah.

Anger over civilian airstrikes reached an apex last September, when a NATO strike hit two fuel tankers that Taliban fighters had commandeered. The strike set off a huge fireball that killed as many as 142 people, including 30 civilians.

Germany's top commander was forced to resign after revelations that the government had concealed information about the airstrike.

In another development Monday, an influential Afghan warlord long suspected of helping Osama bin Laden escape from Tora Bora in 2001 as U.S. special forces were closing in was killed in a suicide bombing.

Mohammad Zaman Ghamsharik, also known as Haji Zaman, was killed when the suicide bomber targeted a ceremony in the eastern province of Nangarhar, where local leaders were handing out land for returning refugees. Fourteen others also died.

Zaman spent years in exile after he was accused of helping bin Laden escape. He'd recently returned to Afghanistan and was taking part in the land ceremony.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

HOMEPAGE

Checkpoint Kabul

January 01, 2010 08:04 AM

white-house

U.S. apologizes for killing of 12 Afghan civilians

February 14, 2010 02:53 PM

world

Taliban reportedly held civilian hostages when U.S. rockets hit

February 15, 2010 05:56 PM

world

Next big combat mission in Afghanistan will target Kandahar

February 21, 2010 03:47 PM

world

Probes overlook McChrystal's role in costly Afghan battles

February 20, 2010 02:09 PM

world

IEDs lurk as biggest threat in U.S.-led Afghan offensive

February 17, 2010 03:32 PM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Liberals push for a Green New Deal as the way forward on climate change

January 07, 2019 08:23 AM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story