McClatchy DC Logo

Iraq orders 200 current, former Blackwater employees to leave | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Iraq orders 200 current, former Blackwater employees to leave

Jane Arraf and Warren P. Strobel - Christian Science Monitor and McClatchy

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 10, 2010 08:31 PM

BAGHDAD — Iraq has ordered more than 200 current and former employees of the private security company formerly known as Blackwater, which still plays a role in guarding U.S. diplomats, to leave the country within the next four days.

Interior Minister Jawad al Bolani told the Associated Press that the order is directed at security contractors who worked for Blackwater in the fall of 2007, when a security detail protecting an American convoy opened fire on a crowded square, killing 17 Iraqi civilians. The company, based in Moyock, N.C., has since changed its name to Xe.

A senior State Department official in Washington said the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad had been formally notified of the Iraqi Interior Ministry's decision.

"We will discuss this with the Iraqi government," said the official, who requested anonymity because of the issue's sensitivity. "None of the former Blackwater employees now providing aviation services as part of the new contract (for U.S. diplomats' security) were involved in the Nisour Square incident."

SIGN UP

The State Department no longer has contracts in Iraq with Xe or its air services arm, Presidential Airways. A contract with Presidential Airways ended on Jan. 3.

The move follows Prime Minister Nouri al Malaki's promises to families of the victims that his government would seek justice after a U.S. court on Dec. 31 dismissed manslaughter charges against five former Blackwater security guards. It also follows the kidnapping of an Iraqi-American military contractor in Baghdad, who appeared in a video this week by a radical Iranian-backed group calling for the conviction of Blackwater employees.

Bolani said the Blackwater personnel were notified three days ago of the order, which gave them a week to leave or have their authorization to remain in the country revoked.

Many former Blackwater employees, who had provided diplomatic security for senior U.S. State Department staff and operated the U.S. Embassy's helicopter services, have remained in the country under other contracts after the Iraqi government banned Blackwater from operating here.

U.S. officials had previously said that movements of diplomats, already severely restricted due to security fears, would be even more curtailed if former Blackwater guards were removed from duty.

Vice President Joe Biden, in a visit to Baghdad in January, expressed personal regret over the Sept. 16, 2007, incident. He said the U.S. would appeal the court decision that dismissed manslaughter charges against the five former Blackwater guards.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. blames al Qaida in Iraq for Baghdad bombing spree

For second day in a row, Baghdad is bombed; 18 dead

30 dead as Iraq bombs target hotels popular with Westerners

Can a city awash in guns, grenades and explosives ever be safe?

Deadly bombings strike Iraqi holy city of Najaf

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Judge dismisses charges in Blackwater shooting of 17 Iraqis

December 31, 2009 05:46 PM

world

Bombing of Shiite pilgrimage bodes more Iraqi violence

February 05, 2010 11:43 AM

world

U.S. blames al Qaida in Iraq for Baghdad bombing spree

January 26, 2010 03:32 PM

world

Iraqi father vows to pursue U.S. lawsuit against Blackwater

January 30, 2010 08:56 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

Erdogan: Investigators will continue search after Khashoggi disappearance

View More Video

Trending Stories

Cell signal puts Cohen outside Prague around time of purported Russian meeting

December 27, 2018 10:36 AM

Sources: Mueller has evidence Cohen was in Prague in 2016, confirming part of dossier

April 13, 2018 06:08 PM

Ted Cruz’s anti-Obamacare crusade continues with few allies

December 24, 2018 10:33 AM

California Republicans fear even bigger trouble ahead for their wounded party

December 27, 2018 09:37 AM

Hundreds of sex abuse allegations found in fundamental Baptist churches across U.S.

December 09, 2018 06:30 AM

Read Next

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM
‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story