McClatchy DC Logo

Switzerland takes 2 Uighur brothers held at Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Switzerland takes 2 Uighur brothers held at Guantanamo

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

February 03, 2010 06:59 PM

The Swiss government rebuffed Chinese protests Wednesday and agreed to give sanctuary to two brothers from China's Muslim Uighur minority who had been cleared for release from Guantanamo, but feared persecution if they went home.

The announcement represented a breakthrough for Arkin Mahnut, 45, and his brother Bahtiar, 32, now held at Guantanamo's Camp Iguana, the chain-link-fence enclosed compound reserved for prisoners who've been ordered released.

Bahtiar had been offered sanctuary in Palau but refused to leave Guantanamo without Arkin, who reportedly has developed a mental illness during his eight years in U.S. detention. While a dozen Uighurs recently have been given sanctuary elsewhere, no country was willing to take Arkin.

Switzerland, which had earlier taken in an Uzbek man from Guantanamo, said in a statement it was doing its part to "contribute to the closing of the U.S. Guantanamo Bay detention center, which it had criticized as being contrary to international laws."

SIGN UP

"There is no evidence that the three might have had or have any contact with terrorist groups," it added. "The USA neither charged them with any crime nor sentenced them and in 2005 declared they could be accepted by other countries."

The story of the Guantanamo Uighurs is one of the most complex of the detention center's existence. Captured in Afghanistan in 2001, the Uighurs originally numbered 22. China originally demanded that they all be sent back to China, but the Uighurs said they would be persecuted there and the Bush administration agreed.

After concluding that the Uighurs did not pose a terrorist threat to the United States, the Bush administration sent five to Albania in 2006. But the other 17 Uighurs lanquished in Guantanamo as the Bush State Department searched for another country to take them.

According to the Center for Constitutional Rights, civilian lawyers contacted about 100 nations to find the Uighurs new homes but got no takers — "presumably out of fear of angering China," the CCR said.

In October 2008, U.S. District Judge Ricardo Urbina ordered that the 17 Uighurs be released into the United States, if the State Department could not find the homes. The order was stayed by an appeals court, and is now set to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court.

But in the months after, the State Department scrambled to find homes for the Uighurs. Four were given asylum in Bermuda. Six Uighurs were given asylum by the Pacific island nation of Palau, and five who remain at Guantanamo may still have the option to go there.

No nation, however, was willing to take Arkin Mahnut and his brother would not leave without him until Wednesday.

Swiss Minister of Justice Evelyn Widmer-Schlumpf said the decision to take the brothers "was guided by humanitarian principles and should not be interpreted as giving preference to one country over another." Switzerland said it would issue the men migration permits and they had agreed to honor Swiss values, try to earn a living and learn the local language. Switzerland has four official languages.

Dean Boyd, a spokesman, said the U.S. Justice Department was "grateful to the Swiss Government and the Cantons of Jura and Geneva for assisting our efforts to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay. The United States will continue to work closely with Switzerland regarding this matter."

Related stories from McClatchy DC

news

Uncertainty shrouds 17 unusual Guantanamo detainees

December 25, 2008 03:33 PM

world

Four Guantanamo Uighur detainees sent to Bermuda

June 11, 2009 10:31 AM

national-security

Palau agrees to accept Uighur detainees from Guantanamo

June 10, 2009 07:39 PM

politics-government

Guantanamo's Uighur detainees ask Supreme Court to free them

June 05, 2009 09:45 AM

world

Imprisoned Uighurs stage rare public Guantanamo protest

June 02, 2009 08:25 AM

world

Guantanamo's Uighur detainees to get laptops

June 02, 2009 07:06 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story