McClatchy DC Logo

Haiti quake made gap between rich and poor even bigger | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

World

Haiti quake made gap between rich and poor even bigger

Juan Carlos Chavez - Miami Herald

    ORDER REPRINT →

January 22, 2010 07:51 PM

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — In the highest hills of Petionville, above the ruined Haitian capital, there are no dead in the streets. There is no rubble.

The earthquake that killed tens of thousands in the city below hardly touched the people of this wealthy neighborhood.

"Most of them chose to leave Haiti until the situation improves,'' said Jean Robert, 55, a worker who has been reinforcing walls in the posh neighborhood. "There are homes that have had damage. But they're few, and I don't think it's a problem. They'll build other ones.''

On the lower sides of the same hill, the change of scene is dramatic: The straight, spacious, tree-lined streets give way to a tangle of tiny homes. Bodies still lie amid the rubble, and the victims await help from international relief agencies.

SIGN UP

But at the top, business goes on as usual. The hotel Ibo Lele remains open, and there are hardly any cracks in the walls of apartment buildings such as La Clos. Even the church, Divine Mercy Parish, is lucky. There will likely be a Mass on Sunday, and a crack on one of the altar walls will be repaired soon.

"The situation here is different,'' said Father Calixto Hilaire, the parish priest, acknowledging that the impact of the quake was hardly felt among the wealthier families in the district.

Hilaire, who has been in charge of Divine Mercy Parish since 2001, says he feels pain at the uncertainty and chaos that surrounds Port-au-Prince. He says he has been waiting for the wealthier parishioners to offer help, but until now, only one family of the hundred or so that attended services two weeks ago has contributed canned goods, water or medicines.

Janel Lettes, a private security guard who keeps watch and handles the maintenance on a Pétionville mansion, is not surprised that the wealthy have not helped more. He says many residents left the neighborhood for the time being, fearing the aftershocks that have shaken the capital since the earthquake last week.

Lettes carries a shotgun and wears a T-shirt identifying him as a guard. His employer's five-bedroom home, which features a pool and satellite-TV dish, was damaged by the quake and will have to be demolished.

But Lettes said that won't be much of a headache for the owner, a businessman who left the country shortly after the quake and who plans to rebuild as soon as materials are available.

"Aside from that, as you can see, all is tranquil,'' he said. "It sounds like a bad joke, because those below are living through hell, and the people are hungry and desperate.''

The problems of Petionville are small in comparison to the devastation in Port-au-Prince. Gas for the popular four-wheel-drive SUVs is scarce, and the ballet school has closed for the time being. The nearby golf course has been taken over by the U.S. military, which coordinates some relief efforts from there, including moving quake victims to safer areas of the country.

"It's hard to understand. I think things are worse now than at the beginning,'' said Cabrini Demesmin, 30, an artist who creates paintings and drawings for Petionville's residents.

Demesmin inherited a Petionville home from his father, a well-known lawyer who died several years ago. Demesmin shares the home with a dozen family members who fear that the worst is yet to come.

"They have told us to beware of the aftershocks, at least for another month,'' he said.

Meanwhile, Lettes, the security guard, spends his time listening to the news on the radio and asking himself where the half a million people who have been left homeless will end up.

He mused: "There's a lot of space on the hills of Pétionville.''

Related stories from McClatchy DC

economy

For Haiti's survivors, getting back to normal requires cash

January 23, 2010 04:35 PM

world

Haiti rescue continues as man is pulled alive from hotel

January 23, 2010 03:59 PM

world

Cuba will let U.S. military fly over its territory on way to Haiti

January 22, 2010 07:07 PM

politics-government

Will U.S. troops leave Haiti too soon?

January 22, 2010 04:51 PM

world

Search operations winding down as Haiti gets more aid

January 22, 2010 05:30 PM

world

Forces at Guantanamo readied to assist Haiti quake victims

January 22, 2010 01:22 AM

  Comments  

Videos

Women form 370-mile human wall for gender equality in India

Argentine farmers see promising future in soybean crops

View More Video

Trending Stories

Justice declines to pursue allegations that CIA monitored Senate Intel staff

July 10, 2014 12:02 PM

RIP Medical Debt donation page

November 05, 2018 05:11 PM

Trump officials exaggerate terrorist threat on southern border in tense briefing

January 04, 2019 05:29 PM

Trump’s prison plan to release thousands of inmates

December 21, 2018 12:18 PM

Here’s when the government shutdown will hurt even more

January 04, 2019 03:25 PM

Read Next

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM
Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM
How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story